Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing drug payment scheme while living in Europe

Options
  • 16-01-2023 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3 jawalsh

Hi guys. My husband is currently accessing drugs for along term illness through the drug payment scheme.

We are considering moving to Europe and are wondering if he can still access this expensive, special order drug (Amgevita) through the scheme if we are living in Europe.

Any info appreciated. Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DPS only applies to Irish residents; once you are resident somewhere else you cannot use it. It can only be used at Irish pharmacies too

You will need to research what options you have in that specific place - EHIC may cover you initially, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jawalsh

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of, but I hoped as EU citizen, there may be some way this could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jawalsh

I will research EHIC. Cheers

You’d basically need to get it prescribed where you’re moving to and get yourself setup in the local health system.

There are equivalent (often better) systems in many continental health services.

EHIC is for tourism / short stays only. If you’re moving to another EU country you need to get yourself properly setup in the local healthcare systems as an actual resident. Typically that’s if you’re starting more than 90 days (or university term).

As an EU citizen you’re fully entitled to get setup once you’re resident.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

When you say moving to Europe, what do you actually mean? Once you are legally resident in a member state of the EU/EEA/CH that state is responsible for the provision of your healthcare services. Who actually pays for the services depends on who you obtain residency in that state. If you obtained residency as a result of work or family reunification then the state in which you reside must pay and so you will have to join the local system. If however you retired to that state, then the state paying the largest portion of your first pillar pension must pay and you need to join their system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement