Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Survey

Options
  • 16-01-2023 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Posting this as im fairly ignorant in these matters. Just recieved our structural survey for a property im purchasing and the surveyor noted the bedroom windows do not comply with Building Regulations Part B. A quick google search told me this relates to fire safety. Would cause any issues around insurance? The house is over a 100 years old...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

The building regulations are the laws which you need to comply with when building.

Building regulations didn't exist 100 years ago so perhaps ask your surveyor why she/he made the point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s a pre purchase survey. Not a structural survey i assume.

If the house was built 100 years ago, it pre dates Building Regulations which came into force in 1992 and indeed the Building Bye Laws that were in place before the Regulations I think.

What the Surveyor is doing is pointing out that the windows don’t meet the requirements for escape or rescue in bedrooms.

You May be able to achieve escape/rescue by replacing the windows with modern openings to meet current requirements which are 0.33 Sq. M opening section with minimal of 450mm wide. The opening should be 800-1100mm from the floor.

But, there’s no requirement for you to change them at all and no requirement for the vendor to bring them up to 2023 codes.

Advertisement