Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I eligible for grants?

Options
  • 16-01-2023 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

I'm currently tendering between two construction company for a retrofit of a 1930s house, with the potential for a small extension too.

We got the first quote in and it's over our budget, however there is no mention of anything to do with grants.

I asked both companies and they said they don't do the chasing on grants but I can look into it and they will work with the inspectors if/when they come out to inspect the work.

We would be getting new windows, heating system, insulation etc and it'll be a huge boost to the BER. So surely there must be some grants that could help boost our budget?

Anyone any advice on who I should speak to regarding this or what my first step is? Really could be the difference in us affording the work or not.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Google "seai home energy upgrade grants" for grant info.

However, just because your house qualifies for a particular grant aid measure doesn't automatically mean that it would be appropriate. An example of this would be if your house suffers from poor air tightness (is very draughty) then adding external insulation or even changing the windows and doors with make much of a difference until the source of the air leakage is understood and addressed. So perhaps get someone independent in first to test the house and advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I fear the One Stop approach wouldn't be suitable as I'd like to use one of the two contractors I've shortlisted.

So that'd mean applying individually myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Who mentioned One Stop Shop? It wouldn't be suitable, you'll need to look at individual grants and apply yourself. You'll also have make sure the tenders are registered Better Energy Homes Scheme, or willing to use a subbie that is.

This might be worth a read also

https://www.seai.ie/documents/Energy_Efficiency_in_Traditional_Buildings.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

If you want to get the full range of grants you will have to use a one stop shop. Individual grants are not as wide ranging. For example no individual windows grant.

That said I’d guess that you won’t necessarily save any money by using a one stop shop. You’ll have to do a lot of work to find a one stop shop that will do the other works you need.

There was someone on here trying to do just that late last year so have a search and you may be able to reach out to them.

Advertisement