Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Emission Slurry Spreading (LESS) equipment

Options
  • 16-01-2023 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Just wondering how prople are going to cope with the new changes coming down the tracks.

Personally I'm a little frustrated with the new measures. I import pig slurry which I can't use my splash plate this year.

Next year I'll fall into the 130 kgs N/ha. So I can't spread my own slurry with the splash plate.

I'm not in a position to retrofit a dribble bar due the cost involved, my current tank which is more than adequate for my needs is showing its age and is not a viable option. So a newer model would have to be purchased thus adding to the cost of the investment.

Currently I love the option to spread when ever I want and not depending on contractors. Also I prefer little and often which suits my system.

What are your thoughts and how do you plan to overcome the new measures.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

I reckon the beef lads around here are going to splash away and I even see 1 dairy farmer that are meant to use the dribble bar this year using the splash plate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

Just spent €15k on a dribble bar. I'll have it in 2-3 weeks. Absolutely sickening to be spending that kind of money on something that still only leaves you with the ability to do a job that you could already do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

That’s going to be my approach this year too. It’s easier ask for forgiveness than permission!!

As far as I’m concerned I know nothing about it, I don’t bother getting the farmers journal so I didn’t read about it there, I only use an advisor for bps and he didn’t mention anything, I’m not on social media so I heard nothing from anywhere so carry on as normal 😂

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

That said it does increase options as regards spreading oppertunities and i suppose the days of stinking out the country are gone.slurry is a recent enough developement and we dont have a god given right to impact on ourneighbours.once you get used to it its as fast as any splash plate but you just have to have the slurry right.in our case we spread less pure dairy washing s now and more mixed slurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Got quoted 16k for a dribble bar on my tank, plus extra to change some stuff on the tank itself as it's over 20 years old now and not ideal for a dribble bar. Not sure what to do at the minute on it all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Just got a letter in the post from my advisor this morning going through it all and recommending I update my soil samples, looks like I’ll have to go with the can’t read option now 😂

I'm afraid its either get it or get the contractor. Splash plates will be gone completely in the next 3 or 4 years. Be hard to hide the mark on the fields after that date.

Or lease out the place altogether!

I hadn't heard or wasn't paying attention to the pig slurry requirement for LESS. Apart from that I'd be able to save and plan to upgrade/change

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Thought retrofit dribble bars were grant approvable for non derogation farmers. Did I read that incorrectly?

• Advertisement

Think that surprised alot of lads. Not sure if it was really announced only added near the end

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Contractor is about 1800-2K/ years for my slurry, I only have to open the cover as he comes in the gate( he would probably do that as well), hardest part is getting the bill. That is with LESS equip

That is 7-8 years to pay for the dribble bar. If you are under 130 and in ACRES you can put in for LESS. Technically you can claim for the slurry you produce from Early October until late April. It's 1.2/ cubicM.

I was disgusted because I was above 150 I could not put it in ACRES this time. I used to 700+/ year. I think you can still use the splash plate if its spread before May or has that changed as well

When you cost everything, less work for tractor, less maintenance, no input yourself( except maybe lift a manhole cover) smaller tractor needed we should contract everything that requires heavy equipment there is only a few hundred euro in the difference at year end.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭stanflt

I’ve this heading on 5 years now- probably the best investment ever made for the farm- it cost around 36000 when I bought it unfortunately for people buying now it could be 20k dearer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Anyone know the date of opening for the new tams 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭older by the day

That's lovely, but I would be a fifty cow farmer on wettish land and it looks like the slurry will be going out the night before the rain. Truth is if people are pissed off about the new regulations. Tell it to your local councilor or TD. Or even better the donkey that goes out canvassing with them. Then stop paying the farm union subscription. The IFA leader got a 40000 forty thousand increase last year. The small guy they are trying to finish off. Do something about it. Getting a couple of thumbs up here ain't going to fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

With the price of fertiliser, you will get a bit of the cost back from increased N

Being able to get a bit out during the grazing rotation is useful as well. Grass contamination is not nearly as bad as splash plate. The trailing shoe is supposed to be even better in that regard but don't have one of those

They allowed a one-year grace for grants when the "170+ before exporting" were going to be dragged into the net. So I'd have thought they'd do the same here

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Can get the TAMS Grant on the retrofit. I got it last year.

I think one thing lads should be aware of is that seemingly there is a proposed change in the works and that is that seemingly the Dribble Bar may not be available on the TAMS in the next couple of years. The Trailing Shoe will still be there and guess what, its more expensive. That info came from the lad who done the retrofit for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭anfieldrd

Any price on a new 2000 gallon tank with trailing shoe? Is it much more expensive than dribble bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 grazinggreen

Purchased a Major 2000 gal tank and trailing shoe earlier this year. €41,000 inc VAT.

11k pump

Wide angle pto

Full sight glass

Lamps, beacon mud flaps

On 800 R32 tyres.

Didn't price the trailing shoe but would you be adding 2 or 3 thousand onto that maybe? The shoe adds a good bit more weight vs the dribble bar too, worth taking into account if you're on hilly type ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

Worth noting that Mastek (*edit) have also launched a dribble / trailing shoe hybrid attachment too which could be lighter and Tams eligible

Post edited by dmakc on

Mastek have one of them too now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

paid that for galvanised 2600g major with trailing shoe last December

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

Advertisement