Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options
  • 14-09-2022 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

It is all going so swimmingly so far.

Mod notes

This thread is to do with Government Policy surrounding Ukrainian refugees in Ireland. It is not for personal anecdotes of comments about the refugees themselves. That's exactly the sort of thing that resulted in the closure of the Megathread

Threadbanned users

aland123

DancingDaisy1

Nuts102

malinheader

A_Jez_Howaya

Absolute Zero

captain dildano

ThoseSpikesAreSore

road_high

hoccles77

maninasia

CeCe12

Hungry Burger

Beechwoodspark

CountofmonteCarlo

Overheal

Tonesjones

Hamachi

hotmail.com

Honesty policy

japprentice

s g s

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

Bit early to count the cost to the State, and subsequently the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I agreed with the governments decision at the time. That does not mean the government cannot later consider setting limits. Especially if there is a wider EU plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Temporarily yes but when rhe war is over all should have rights to stay removed with the exception of those with skills on the critical shortage list

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭archfi

Especially when there are evident multiple crises in a country, 'no limit' policies are a huge deriliction of duty by those entrusted to steer a country safely and securely.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...and send them where, back to a fcuked up country, that ll probably take years to rebuild!

...there clearly should have been eu wide agreements made in regards rapid expansion of critical infrastructure needed for this, including property building, as many eu states, including ireland, simply cannot afford to build whats needed using their own resources!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Do we really need another "Ukrainians go home" thread? Surely this can be tacked onto the big thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

At the time it was easy to see why they didn’t have a cap. It’s natural to want to help people fleeing from war. Now I think we are faced with a dilemma with how to proceed. Is it acceptable that if we keep accepting more that some could end up in tents, do we just keep putting people in hotels even if it kills off tourism industry in some places, Ireland is now facing multiple issues itself. The war isn’t the making of the Ukrainian people. I suppose time will tell

Things seem to be looking up in Ukraine so hopefully there is an end in sight. I think it should be acceptable to ask FF/FG the question about caps without them telling us there is a anti-immigration sentiment amongst some Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The Ukrainians we get seem to be the more affluent. The rural or urban poor just trudge or drive to another spot in Ukraine if their home becomes too dangerous. I don't think the govt was right to set no limit. Resources are very limited, particularly given the present mess / unaffordability or unavailability in the mortgage and rental markets. The phrase virtue signal is very applicable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Need to be capped and tell the EU to send them elsewhere. We've taken our fair share. Of course the spineless Government won't rock the boat with the EU masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

No.

• Advertisement

It must be capped, like today. It has become a huge money making racket too...when locals and students are being displaced so the local Fat Cat landlord and building developer can move in Ukrainians for top dollar, we have a serious problem.

Also, I don't agree with all the benefits that Ukrainians staying in hotels are getting.

What part of Cost of Living and Accommodation Crisis for Irish people do the Irish government not understand!?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The first duty of our politicians are that the citizens of this country and their wellbeing are looked after and maintained.

You cannot do that if you are facilitating the population jumping hundreds of thousands in a short space of time, hundreds of thousands of people who require cash, housing, healthcare, public transport, all free gratis…

no limit was an error.

everyone concluded it was appropriate to assist it was a terrible crisis but the no limit element was nuts, treachery even.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think it's time to deploy the ultimate Appeal to Authority

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

On the phone to my step-granny last night, she told me that the local nursing home, with waiting lists to get a place in it, is closing as it's being turned into a centre for Ukrainians.

That is absolutely scandalous, and the irony being, its the grey-vote that consistently keeps FF/FG in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm working with a group of Ukrainians at the moment and although they are very appreciative to be here, they really really just want to go home. It's quite sad to see. I was asking one of the younger guys who normally works as a GP if he was at least having a nice time in Ireland and he did genuinely try to respond with enthusiasm about how beautiful our country is, but ended it with a very deflated '...but it's not Ukraine'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The megathread was closed so this thread is a kind of reboot attempt. If the discussion stays civil then there will be no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They were wrong not to limit numbers coming from Ukraine,and I'm probably more pro Ukraine than most other posters on here ,

The problem was they didn't forsee the big increase of people coming here who are not Ukrainian or living in Ukraine,we know we have taken 40,000 + Ukrainians in 6 months but how many other nationalities came in that same time ,at one point 80% of people sent to citywest hotel and other hotels set up for Ukrainians fleeing didn't come from ukraine.and on top of that the government were publisising it's big once in a generation asylum seekers/ illegals amnesty, which has also seen an increase in people coming here looking for their chance at guaranteed protection and Irish passport.

Not have cap on numbers coming from Ukraine has led to this mess of unlimited numbers from all over coming here

• Registered Users Posts: 34 maceoin.D.

I'm fully with ya there. Not only that but with the housing crisis going on and the cost of living crisis as well, there is a chance that some of the Ukrainians would have been better off going to another country that could accommodate them better. They don't always look too impressed with our current circumstances when I see them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If they're currently keeping Ukrainian refugees in tents, surely we have hit the limit?

Where will they stay in the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Drakesha1964

Cap or no cap is not an issue. First - can this country afford it? Not really. Are there genuine refugees who have their homes destroyed and have no choice but to flee the country? Yes. Is there a vetting process in place? No. It's shambolic even though it's politically correct.

I am originally from Russia, My grandmother is Ukrainian, half of my family and friends are in Ukraine, I am horrified by this war and by the sheer worldwide madness which accompanies those events. My relatives refused to leave their homeland and their kids are sleeping in a cast iron bathtub - to provide some protection from the shrapnel in case of shelling.

I heard of the family who came here, got a place to stay and whatever benefits - I didn't ask. This family are highly critical of practically everything, food, accomodation. weather etc. They rent out their Ukrainian house and their car is driven by their friends who decided to stay... Nice... any comments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

They will be in hotels, so anyone looking for a few nights away over Christmas is probably better looking abroad than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

No it was a terrible idea. Hopefully it is the Straw that break's the sheep voters back's when the election comes.

The gov will probably pay People what they pay hotels to house Ukrianinans in holiday caravans around the country.

Send them where?

As with all wars, the neighbouring countries take in the majority of refugees.

We, in the West, feel like we're always the only ones providing refuge when it's not the case at all.

Pound-for-pound, Moldova has taken in more than anyone.

So your ok with letting families stay in tent's for the winter when they could be be accommodated in other countries l.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And which current party would have imposed such a limit if it had been in power?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It was the right thing to do when the whole country was at risk of being overrun by Russia at the beginning of the war. Now a huge amount of the country appears to be safe so there is no reason why many of these refugees shouldn't return home

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

its much easier to open the door a little wider if deemed appropriate of our ability and circumstances . It’s almost impossible to slam it shut once its fully ajar and the sort of tide of people and expectations start flowing …there will be resistance a plenty.

• Advertisement

Moderator approved framing of the discussion. You should have sanctioned that post for trolling and this whole thread would have been a lot less toxic. Instead you affirm it by replying to it that this is a ‘Ukrainians go home’ thread.

Advertisement