Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey decanter

Options
  • 17-01-2023 11:13am
    Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one as a wedding present back when we got married and found it in the back of the cupboard the other day. It was a nice set, crystal with 6 matching glasses.

It got me wondering, does anyone have one of these and actually use it? I don't think I've ever seen one in use outside of TV/movies.

Are they basically glorified ornaments these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There is no practical reason to use one. It's purely aesthetics, unlike a wine decanter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I have one and I used to use it mainly for decoration. I think I put a bottle of Bush into it and then gradually started topping it up with random samples of stuff that I wasn't fussed on. I then used the whiskey just for Irish coffees or hot whiskey.

Someone on Twitter then pointed out that they can contain lead and shouldn't really be used for long term storage so now it's just sitting on my drinks shelf empty. https://advancedmixology.com/blogs/art-of-mixology/how-safe-are-decanters

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It's aesthetics for the most part I think.

If I had a Baccarat decanter then yes, I probably would use it, because it would be a piece of art.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea as I figured then.

Also assuming that none of you keep a bottle in your office like the movies either! 😁

Hah! Too dangerous on multiple levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I'm currently redoing my office at home, and thinking of putting in a special marble and oak shelf for whiskey. But I actually think I'm probably better off keeping it hidden away in a high press in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

I went a step further... and put a Whiskey ROOM in the gaff. LOL... We moved a year ago - and I told the missus that she could have final say on the house, the location and the garden... but I wanted 1 room for my 'bar' and the garage was also MINE! LOL

A year on, it's working out fine... 🤣

Barboy - Black – VERPAN International

I have one of these, probably my 'funnest' bit of whisky theatre aside from glasses. I keep my nicer bottles in it, in the sitting room where we've got the "nice" chairs and whatnot.

It's more space-efficient than getting a full-on sideboard, which is the other option and they've obviously been pretty trendy in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭adaminho

One of my mates picked one of theses up in Tk Maxx a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

We got a small spirits bar built in when we did up the house 3 years ago, my wife likes to have a bottle of something decanted just for show. We have a nice cut crystal one.

We also decant red wine a couple of hours before dinner on a sunday

• Advertisement
Advertisement