Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural wireless broadband - Lightnet vs Imagine

Options
  • 17-01-2023 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Am considering moving from Lightnet to Imagine for our rural wireless broadband (€45\500GB), anyone else use Imagine? Lightnet have been good but have no interest in retaining my business and matching Imagine's Super price\allowance.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Be better off with Starlink if you can afford it unless your located near a wireless mast and its not over loaded

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

thanks but Starlink would exceed our needs and purse! just wondering about Imagine's customer service as Lightnet's is good.. not worth the hassle of the switch if their CS isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭motley

I did the opposite and moved from Imagine to Lightnet. Imagine customer service is good and of same quality as Lightnet.

The main issue I had was the lack of connection points with Imagine. My nearest mast was Slieve Aughty which was about 20km away. Lightnet had one just down the road.

Also I suspect Imagine we're over subscribing their masts as the connection would always dip on a Sunday night. Plus the upload rate was terrible with Imagine so my video always appeared fuzzy in virtual meetings.

My 2 cents. Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I’ve been with Imagine for about 2.5 years. No real complaints, I work from home a lot and I need a stable/strong connection and I can count on one hand the number of times it’s let me down. Download speed is generally good. It can be as high as 120-130MB but often dips back to 20-30MB in the evenings… which is still generally adequate.

My only quibble is their data usage cap. It’s 1TB per month which seems a lot but with WFH and then streaming services (Netflix, etc) it’s easy enough to get close to that limit on any given month. I’ve had a few snotty emails from them when I’ve sailed close to that limit.

I think your service with them is strongly dependent on the mast that serves you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

thanks a lot to ye both for your experiences, exactly what I was looking for. Imagine are asking €150 installation fee which I guess is standard for a new connections but I might ask if they can waive it 😂😁😆🤪. they also advised that they come & check their nearest connection mast first in case it's not up to mark, which impressed me. main thing pushing me from Lightnet is their sales team total disinterest in keeping me as a loyal customer (quaint idea I suppose)... if they matched Imagine's 500GB data allowance I'd happily stay with them as I've zero need for Imagine's bundled phone service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Current pricing for imagine is €59.99 for 1TB download, and LightNet are €55 for unlimited.

Advertisement