Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Ireland's "energy use by appliance" on smart account not showing any data

• 17-01-2023 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tandcapply

Hi,

I've a smart meter and it's activated for a smart account.

The website seems very buggy still and can't see most of the good stuff:

"Similar Homes Comparison History" and "energy use by appliance" for example:

Anyone has this working?

TIA

Post edited by tandcapply on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

How can this possibly know to split the usage by appliance unless you have a smart plug/meter at each appliance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭DC999

This was mentioned on another thread before months ago I recall. I thought it was black magic at the time too 😊 Seems there is an electrical ‘signature’ from certain devices. Meaning they can tell certain ones, like maybe an electric cooker. In that case they can tell the signature and it’s a heavy load. Sounded like it was a crude way to identify some devices.

And maybe there is some guess work in their algorithm. 10kW from a single device is most likely either an EV or electric shower in a house (but could be a electric storage heater too or...). For more than 20mins, it's not a shower.

And then I googled it and companies are trying to create monitoring systems for that purpose. There must be a commercial market for that. Would be amazing for large companies to identify what is using power unexpectedly. God knows what type of juice sucking devices are plugged into offices or factories or warehouses using juice unexpectedly. Imagine what could be unexpectedly plugged into a campus like UCD with god knows how many buildings. Could even be people hanging a cable out the window in a work environment to charge the EV without permission. Or running personal mining rigs in work using their power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭idc

Researchers have devised algorithms to perform load disaggregation which can detect and determine what is in use in the home. see one such company here https://sense.com/

Ok so guesstimating at best, I would very much doubt the accuracy. i.e. I charge my phev at anywhere between 1.6 - 3.6kwh no way it can pick that out, could be anything.

Proper way would be for each of your rcbos to have logging or shellys on each circuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That algorithm would have a tough time in my house.

15kW at 15kW o'clock, then various amounts minimum 4kW max 15kW all the way to 8AM and then zero usage for 15 hours straight, until it is 15kW o'clock again.

• Advertisement

Lol yeah I forgot about how it would only see this

used per day from the grid then anything from 500w-2kwh for 8 hours every night when after 15kw o'clock 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭DC999

Your 15kW o'clock profile has the electrical load of a home converted to a weed growing farm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nah. It used to be like that alright with a constant 3-4kW 24/7, but that wasn't for weed ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tandcapply

Does anyone have this working for them under their account on EI's website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭idc

They do allow for adding some (not sure how many) CT clamps on specific circuits if required, but from amazon reviews it not available here . One other reviewer was fed up that after 25-30 days it still hadn't identified many appliances so switched to shelly type system. I guess a combination of both would be best - that way if you have one circuit doing both washing machine and dryer it would be easier to identify each one as there are only two devices rather than attempting to identify them from the whole house load!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

If CT clamps aren't an option a energy monitoring plug works well. I've a mix CT clamps for heat pump and monitoring plugs for big appliances. Last big ticket item is another CT clamp for the oven. Gives me this in home assistant. Heat pump takes over the scaling in the winter is the only downside.

I work in data analysis and have enjoyed getting the monitoring up and running. I believe they can easily seperate your base load from your big appliances. Can't see them accurately differentiating between oven and tumble dryer as both heats up in one big lump followed by intermittent similar draw. Dishwasher and washing machine similar. Heat Pump and EV would be similar constant load if running full whack while if the heat pump is running a low load it'd match the oven and tumble dryer initial spike. It might guess right one day but completely wrong the next.

It's a prediction task that if I got asked to make a model for I'd have an asterisk based on the above on my output.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Probably was the AH thread where they were all accusing me of being a tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist for suggesting it was even possible. Nonintrusive load monitoring

Yes. Will aim to get pics for you to see this week.

If I recall, if took 3/4 months post accepting the meter "upgrade" and agreeing to smart tariffs and extra data collection for anything to show up.

So do all of these work for you now? (I only have data under Projected usage at present)

yup - all working. Are you sure you've enabled "insights" as well as the smart metering? They need to be given permission to build these profiles etc independent of the permission to collect the meter data.

Examples from mine

Thanks, Where can I find out if insights are enabled?

I've recently filled out the home survey again, nothing specific there IIRC.

Maybe just a sit and wait scenario.

I honestly can't recall, it was over a year ago. Phone calls to EI always take a long time to get a resolution on but I have 'gotten there' previously. Might be worth dialling in again?

Failing that, scouring every setting on the online account to ensure that you have activated insights in any way shape or form you wish.

A quick update,it now shows that after 4 months it'll habe data. If I don't go bankrupt by then.

I hope to see if I've a kettle hidden somewhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 audi80

You can download your daily data by clicking on the Details square, scrolling down and clicking the download your smart meter data link.

Advertisement