Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OpenEir vs SIRO

Options
  • 17-01-2023 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

I was just on to Pure Telecom there who advised me that I can avail of either OpenEir FTTH or SIRO gigabit speeds at the same price (€40p/m)

He said that the FTTH is contention free but SIRO is a quicker install. I've just given Virgin a months notice, so am thinking of going with the OpenEir solution. Is there anything to recommend one over the other? FWIW, I have mesh wifi system and most devices are wired, so modem choice isn't that big of a deal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

Same question! Currently also deciding between the two, and would love to get some experiences with both

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

I did some reading and from what I can tell it’s much of a muchness. I decided to go with SIRO as I know how awful Eir have been as a company. I signed up today. Hope to have the install by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭DopeTech

With pure telecom siro myself and planning to move to sky ftth. Would be interested in peoples experiences moving from one to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Why are you moving from Pure SIRO?

Sky are €30 for 12 months via OBS vs pure, the best they could do was another 6 months at 35 and then the rest at 55 I think.

Post edited by DopeTech on

• Advertisement

Whichever is better value. The technology is the same and you’ll never be dealing with either OpenEir or Siro directly. If they’re the same price it’s really 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Also OpenEir isn’t Eir retail and are fine to deal with you’ll only ever interact with your ISP. They also have a very good access network.

Your internet service isn’t just resold Siro / OpenEir either - they’re just access networks. The backhaul, peering and international connectivity as well as voice or tv etc is provided by your ISP and will be made up from their own networks and capacity they’ve leased from wholesalers.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

Thanks! Eir didn’t show up for my installation and now I have to wait another 2 weeks. Put a bad taste in my mouth.

I’ll take a look at SIRO and see how long they’ll take

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the_galway_fry

hi

im currently with sky ,almost no issues in over a year with them , good connectivity not dropping etc

however its 60 quid a month and eir are offering 12 months for 35p.m.

given its siro that they are all going through , am i making a mistake in going back to eir ? i was with them pre siro and they were pretty poor on all fronts

so am i being a fool going back to them? or does it matter now?

galway city brw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Depends what area of Galway your in. If you have no etu outside the house. Will most likely require a dig to get openeir fibre in if estate is ug.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did you ask Sky for a deal? Usually they are anxious to hold onto customers.

• Advertisement

I’d avoid eir at all costs. Try pure telecom for the same price. Much better hardware and customer service

Advertisement