Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CE Scheme vacancies

Options
  • 17-01-2023 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all.

I am currently on a CE Scheme in Rathfarnham and we have some vacancies for Caretakers, Childcare assistants, Tour Guides (Dalkey Castle) and a mini bus driver.

If anyone is interested, it's 19.5 hours a week, and rate of pay is €247.50 /week.

Hope it's okay to post this here but we really need people for these positions! Any questions fire away...

Many thanks.

LLB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

would be a problem that has to be solved Work myself on a ce scheme and normally there should be 4 people on that project but they cant get anyone for 27 euro more than SF so running around there alone

For me i like what im doing but i pay more on diesel than i get paid for the scheme and most wont come out of the house for that

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LouLouBubbles

I hear you about the diesel. Busses can be expensive too and lunches etc. They (CE Schemes) try to match up people with local positions in their community etc, and in an ideal world they would also pay receipted travel expenses, and increase the existing amount of €27.00 over JS.

The schemes can be hugely beneficial in other ways though, and can really help people combat loneliness, improve mental wellbeing, get people back into a working headspace and routine, organise free certified training, boost your CV etc. You can also do other work (part-time, nixers etc) which you can't on JS.

It has a bad rep for almost being exploitative, which I think is a bit unfair. It's not promoted properly by Intreo, and people think of it more as a punishment than an opportunity, which is a shame.

If you don't get a free bus driver or caretaker off the scheme who does the work and for how much ??? Do you just do without?

It absolutely is 100% exploitative. Locally I know of council workers retired and not replaced directly but seen the CE scheme lads out in their builders vests picking up litter in the red council bags. CE and t's bad rep is well deserved.

'If you don't get a free bus driver or caretaker off the scheme who does the work and for how much ??? Do you just do without?'

Yes. We do without, and the work doesn't get done. This impacts on vital community services that we all depend on.

'It absolutely is 100% exploitative. Locally I know of council workers retired and not replaced directly but seen the CE scheme lads out in their builders vests picking up litter in the red council bags.'

Not sure what point you're making here? Retired workers are just that. Retired. If your council can't or won't hire replacement workers the litter still needs to be picked up. I'm sure you appreciate your local green spaces being litter free.

'CE and t's bad rep is well deserved.'

Unfortunately a lot of people agree with you. I can only speak for the scheme I'm on and I see how local groups, underfunded small charities and the wider community benefit from every CE person's work in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Slave Labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'm sure rhe litter picker would appreciate being paid appropriately and enjoy the benefits of being a fully contracted employee, too. CE schemes are exploitation, nothing else. Maintaining the environment and facilities of a community are the responsibility of local government. Essential services should be provided by the state through its appropriate bodies and those employed to provide those services should be employed officially and payed sufficiently to carry them out. Anything else is just an exercise in massaging the employment figures and getting work done on the cheap.

Let me guess, you're the supervisor getting a full time wage from the state for the scheme, right? Of course, it benefits YOU for the scheme to continue.

'I'm sure rhe litter picker would appreciate being paid appropriately and enjoy the benefits of being a fully contracted employee, too. CE schemes are exploitation, nothing else. Maintaining the environment and facilities of a community are the responsibility of local government. Essential services should be provided by the state through its appropriate bodies and those employed to provide those services should be employed officially and payed sufficiently to carry them out. Anything else is just an exercise in massaging the employment figures and getting work done on the cheap.

Let me guess, you're the supervisor getting a full time wage from the state for the scheme, right? Of course, it benefits YOU for the scheme to continue.'

Firstly, I'm not a supervisor - I'm on the scheme.

Secondly, I absolutely agree with you on (nearly!) every point you make. (I don't feel I'm being exploited).

This scheme is not a remedy for the ridiculously inadequate policies of an inept government or to combat the egregiously inadequate local politicians or cripplingly stupid bureaucrats!

It's a part-time job OPTION that might suit some people who have been long term unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There are advantages & disadvantages to CE schemes but on the whole positive ,particularly in rural areas were employment opportunities & Transport is a challenge.

In my Village an entire community centre is run via a CE scheme, 7 days a week. It's facilities would simply not function without local people on the CE scheme which covers Gardening, Maintenance, Administration, Bookings for sporting events etc.

The association that employs up to 15 people is a charitable, volunteer set up & any income goes towards up keep & Maintenance.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

The council employed retirees have been replaced with CE scheme workers to pick up rubbish saving them at least €60k a year minimum so tell me again how that isn't exploitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The people most likely on the CE scheme are people who would have been volunteering at the GAA club anyway. This way they get paid at least €250 per week for their efforts.

Would you prefer if the GAA club increased its subs to members in order to employ people instead of engaging with the CE scheme? You do know that Castleiney Loughmore GAA club is not like Manchester City I assume ?!

Social Welfare payment is E220 so effectively they're being 'paid' E27.50.

No. They are being 'paid' €247.50 for 19.5 hrs 'work'.

It suits some people to 'earn' a wage rather than receive an allowance and do nothing.

You are wrong.

When you are on a CE scheme you are no longer getting SW. You are being paid as an employee. You are subject to payslips deductions etc and have full employee rights.

Are you trying to say that people partaking in a CE scheme are somehow less worthy than any other employee? Why would you discriminate against people like this?

Absolutely nothing to do with the GAA, what makes you think this 🤔 sporting organisations, schools, teams to include basketball, Soccer, badminton use the facilities, paid for by the community and grant aid.

Wrong, CE schemes sometimes assist in Tidy Towns, local authorities rarely if ever clean Village streets or surrounds. CE schemes may have a gardening aspect, grass cutting, maintenence but generally as part of the Tidy Towns which in itself is voluntary

Correct as always @TooTired123

The minute a participant starts a CE scheme they are no longer classified as a Jobseeker or being in receipt of a SW payment, they become an employee of the CE scheme or its sponsor.

On CE payslips the only mention of SW is an allowance some participants retain, such as Fuel allowance, which is paid on top of the current €247.50 rate.

It is correct to say that is made up of a participants SW rate plus the CE Payment and yes Wages are fully funded by DSP but participant's are in law, now employee's with holiday and sick leave entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

It's essentially laundering for the DSP to massage the employment figures. It doesn't matter what it says on the pay slip- the money us coming through the DSP. The Scheme does not employ anyone- they get free labour and sometimes a grant for their "scheme" too. "Scheme" is the right word for it.

• Advertisement

Funny that the GAA clubs have the cash to build club houses and run bingo in them every week but can't afford to employ a groundskeeper or cleaner to maintain them so have to resort to CE schemes for those?

Tell me you don’t know anything about voluntary sports organisations, without telling me you don’t know anything about voluntary sports organisations…

Perhaps your not very bright, so I'll try again.

The community centre in my Village was entirely Built with Fund Raising & Some Government Grants via department of Education.

The GAA had absolutely nothing to do with its construction or management . In fact the only time the GAA Use the facilities is for meetings.

Basket Ball, Soccer (Astro Pitch), netball & school PE classes are what take place mainly as well as Social events in the Centre itself. All for nominal hourly rates.

There's also a Heritage centre used for classes, Art & social events.

I'm not entirely sure what your obsession with the GAA is, I've personally not the slightest interest in GAA sports.

Tell me you don't know anything about scab labour without telling me you know all about scab labour.

Yes because volunteering to help at the local sports club is “scab labour”🙄

@TooTired123 this thread has descended into farce, with a few rather ill informed individuals trying to Bait a reaction. I'm not wasting anymore time on these individuals, who've nothing constructive to add or offer the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Paying €60k a year for someone to pick up litter! I've no problem with a council saving €45k a year for unskilled work.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Waste of time engaging with them tbh. A person getting a few extra quid to help out the local (and more than likely volunteer run) sports club isn't a bad thing FFS. It means any funds raised can go to investing in facilities for the community... Which is the whole point of Community Employment schemes.

A few extra quid? You have the cost of getting there on the bus for the 19 hours they spread out over 5 days. So ends up costing them money. If a charity or sports club needs work done or grounds kept it's a business expense and they should pay for it and not leave the likes of you or me as a tax payer to cover it with scab labour.

In case you can't tell I've experience with a CE scheme.

• Advertisement
Advertisement