Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I finally bought an Apple Device (iPad)

• 17-01-2023 7:46pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After years of saying I'd never buy an Apple Device no matter what, I've finally succumbed to buying an iPad Pro 11 inch.

We have recently got a new kitten who loves walking on keyboards of laptops around the house which makes it almost impossible to use one for leisure and in reality, with a excellent PC set-up at my desk I have barely sued the laptop I have for the past couple of years.

The time has come to move the laptop on and instead of replacing it with a laptop I'm going down the tablet route. It was either that or a convertible laptop and I figured I may as well go down the tablet route.

I have to admit I'm someone who has barely used an Apple Device in the past, I'm Android for phones and Windows computers all my life, so I'm a little bit apprehensive about the switch.

I guess the first thing I'd want to ask is there any tips or things as someone completely new to Apple equipment and iPadOs that you think I should know or I should do? I already bought a cheapo case off Amazon, but my tablet doesn't arrive until later this week because it's being Engraved at the Apple store.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

1: Enjoy

2: down load movies etc and use Bose noise cancelling head phones

3 Enjoy.

I have the same rigs as you android and windows so my use of the iPad is purely for surfing and movies and educational material in the sitting room while the OH watches the TV.

Also use it when on the X trainer at home

Its a gem

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

I would concur with “enjoy”!

best thing to do is watch some of the ios tips/tricks videos on YouTube-I’m using mac/iOS years now and will still discover a new shortcut or handy thing unexpectedly!

From a practical point of view, buy some cheap Bluetooth headphones, BT keyboard, Apple trackpad or Apple Pencil online (or on adverts, it’s where I get most of my stuff!) and just let yourself get used to the iOS system. I prefer writing and find the Apple Pencil great for scribbling away on the screen ipad-also great for drawing if you’re in anyways arty. Haven’t used any 3rd party pencils but I’m sure they’d be grand too!

tbh, at first it’s a bit like when you’re in an unfamiliar car-it’ll do everything you want it to but you might reach for the wipers and switch on the indicators instead! Give yourself a bit of time to play around with it and watch some of those iOS vids and you’ll be grand!

Also, set up an iCloud address and ensure that you’re backing up to the cloud, and that the “find my” service is on-essentially it means if it’s lost/stolen you can possibly locate it, or at least lock/brick it for whoever finds it. If it makes it’s way back to you, you can get it unlocked with Apple.

Also also if you have iCloud backups turned on and there’s any issue, you can restore your settings from the most recent backup.

It’s great to hear that you have a protective case coming, especially if you have a kitten who might be prone to playing with tech too. You should also pick-up Applecare for a while-essentially if anything goes wrong (kitten breaks screen) you can normally get it fixed (either free or at a super discounted rate, can’t remember)

Anyhoo, enjoy the new toy when it arrives and congrats!

Advertisement