Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Older Person Heating Grant

Options
  • 17-01-2023 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

Really hope you can help me.

Parents are OAPs and heat the house with a multi fuel stove with back boiler for the radiators. The task of lighting, tending and cleaning this each day is becoming a bit too much. My father is on warfarin to thin his blood and he’s always cold. Both are on a normal pension with no extra money coming in unfortunately.

I was reading there may be some sort of grant available to help pay for the installation of a mains gas boiler.

Would anybody here know what is involved in this and who to contact etc? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The local authority in the county in which they live have a housing grant for older people which covers central heating.

But it’s only applicable where an independent heating engineer says that the heating system is completely broken down to the point where it is more economically viable to replace it rather then repair it so that’s not what’s happening with your parents.

However you should go to their county website and download the housing grant form anyway. Give a good read of the notes and see if there’s anything else they need doing around the house that they could get financial help with.

If they’re in receipt of Fuel Allowance they should also apply for the Warmer Homes Scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jumbop

That's brilliant, thanks so much for the reply. Appreciate your time.

I'm going to look into this for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

They could also take a chance and go to the CWO and ask for an ANP. Bring a quote for the replacement boiler and evidence of all their income and savings/capital

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

See link below 're warmer home scheme. I'm assuming if their only income is state pension then they are claiming fuel allowance which would qualify them for the scheme.

This will include a new heating system if only have solid fuel at the moment.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/housing_grants_and_schemes/warmer_homes_scheme.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

hi folks,whats the position for a person age 61 on disability allowance living alone in a council owned house that has nothing only a open fire in the sitting room,never had radiators,just an immersion to heat water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

You must own your home for various schemes & Grants but your council would have certain obligations to insure you have an appropriate heating system, insulation & windows and doors.

Council and local authorities are currently upgrading their properties to include new efficient heating systems & insulation. I would contact your local authority ASAP and they will do an inspection.

Good luck

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jumbop

This is great information, I'm going to apply and see what happens.

Advertisement