Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jay Briscoe passes away at the age of 38

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Jay Briscoe has sadly passed away in a car accident. Absolutely devastating. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Frack. Didn't realise he was so young. Only 38

RIP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wow, this is awful.

Report is he was driving his two daughters to cheer practice. He and the other driver died instantly in a car crash, both kids are in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What awful tragic news

its horrible news to wake up to, so young as well

the wrestling world lost half of one of the best tag teams around

my sympathies are with the family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

That's absolutely awful news. His poor family. Those Briscoes and FTR matches will always be special now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Officer999

Terrible news

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wtf.... that's shocking.

38 is way too young. F**k, I mean what's average life expectancy? 70s maybe 80s if you're lucky? This should have been a news story in about 40 years. If you get me.

But alas, no one knows the cards we are dealt with. Rip Jay.

Was mentioned during NXT. So likely had just heard the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Terry Funk didn't need no mouthpiece.

RIP Jay.

Confirmation the kids were in the car too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

God how do you recover from that to be there for your kids after losing your husband. That poor, poor family have been absolutely devastated in one fell swoop, what a tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You could put the briscoes 2002-2004 ROH run on a list with any tag team run in history, and neither of them could legally buy a beer, the NOAH matches, the Steen/generico run, bleeding on Jimmy Jacobs white suit, his singles stuff as ROH champion, the stuff with the Bucks and the Hardy's, and the utterly ridiculous FTR trilogy.

An incredible body of work to leave behind.

I was just thinking the poor woman probably hasn't even had a chance to properly grieve. **** me what a sad situation.

State Police Investigating Two-Vehicle Fatal Accident

The Delaware State Police are investigating a fatal accident that occurred in Laurel late yesterday afternoon that resulted in the deaths of two people.

On January 17, 2023, at approximately 5:09 p.m., a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 was traveling westbound on Laurel Road just west of Goose Nest Road. At the same time, a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 was traveling eastbound on Laurel Road in the same vicinity. For unknown reasons, the driver of the Silverado 1500 pickup truck failed to remain in her lane, crossed the center line, and entered the eastbound lane of Laurel Road, directly into the path of the Silverado 2500. This resulted in a head-on collision between the two pickup trucks in the eastbound lane.

The driver of the Silverado 1500, identified as 27-year-old Lillyanne Ternahan of Frankford, Delaware, was wearing her seatbelt. The driver of the Silverado 2500, identified as 38-year-old Jamin Pugh of Laurel, Delaware, was not wearing his seatbelt. Both drivers were pronounced dead at the scene. The two passengers in Pugh’s pickup truck, identified as his 12-year-old daughter and 9-year-old daughter, were both properly restrained. Both girls were taken by ambulance to an area hospital and were admitted in critical condition.

Alcohol involvement in this crash is unknown. No other vehicles were involved in this collision. The roadway was closed for approximately four hours while the scene was investigated and cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope the kids pull through

38 so young

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

RIP.

Hopefully the kids pull through and the surgery was successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

RIP.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Warner Brothers Discovery would not allow AEW to run a Jay Briscoe tribute event on their TBS Network, and will not be allowing a tribute on their TNT Network due to his past remarks

Tony Khan will be moving forward with multiple tributes to Briscoe that won't air on either Networks. The first of which was an ROH Celebration of Life event last night in Fresno California 

The first episode of ROH's new weekly show will also feature tributes to Briscoe, and the upcoming Supercard of Honor PPV will be dedicated to him.

Bad form out of WB Discovery.

It's disgraceful, just pure bitterness in my eyes. How anyone can have this kind of grudge is beyond me.

Jay apologized for his remarks at the time, what else could he have done? ffs this really pisses me off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Apparently it's mainly down to one person at the network who's in a position to make such decisions. It may be a very personal issue for them. But as you say he apologised, and stated that he no longer felt that way. People deserve a second chance when they're sincere. A terrible shame he never got it.

I didn't watch ROH when it and the Briscoes were at their peak but if and when they relaunch their archive footage I'll go and watch them. I loved the FTR matches.

• Advertisement

We're burning everybody at the stake but not for the same crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Local news story on it - the outpouring of support from his local community is great to see. His mother talks about him too and thankfully it's sounding positive for both of his daughters.

https://www.wboc.com/news/overwhelming-support-from-laurel-community-and-beyond-for-family-of-late-jamin-pugh/video_ec88180a-8815-5f3d-b568-65da3e7d41ed.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I am going to be blunt....

Am sure the same Warner Execs have plenty of skeltons in their closet that they would not want to come out, given their positions of power and I am sure they are much worse than a homophobic tweet. But Jay posted it. Doesn't matter if he was drunk, high, angry and or immediately regretted it. As soon as you post something like that you get branded. Which is wrong. But that's the world we live in.

Yes, WB execs should have let Tony Khan do whatever he wanted to do. But they didn't give a sh*t he died. In their eyes he was branded a homophobe and they didn't want to "offend anyone".

• Registered Users Posts: 31,717 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Warner stuff is so monumentally fcked up, and a huge misjudgment on their part I think. Fair enough if you didn't want to actively hire the guy, I can understand that, that's totally grand. But to actively block tributes to a young man by his peers after he's passed away? That's unconscionable, and a far more callous and cruel act than anything Jay ever posted.

I listened to Cornette's podcast about Jay....was not expecting it to be as tough as the one on Bobby Eaton. Very hard going.

Nice touch by Pro Wrestling Tees

https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/wrestler-t-shirts/demboys/jay-briscoe-reach-for-the-sky-100-of-proceeds-go-to-benefit-the-pugh-family.html

On January 17th, the wrestling world lost one of its most beloved family members when Jamin Pugh, known professionally as Jay Briscoe, tragically lost his life in an automobile accident. A member of the Ring of Honor family from the very beginning, Jay became a multi-time ROH World Champion, a 13-time ROH World Tag Team Champion, and a first-ballot ROH Hall of Famer with his brother Mark. Together, The Briscoe Brothers were a part of ROH's foundation, the heart and soul, and were essential in building that company into the most influential wrestling promotion of the last twenty years But more than that, the Pugh family lost a husband, a father, a brother, a son, and in an effort to both honor Jay's memory as well as support those left behind, we are offering this “Reach For The Sky” t-shirt with 100% of the proceeds going to benefit the Pugh family as they cope with this tragic loss.

The tribute show is up on the Ring of Honor youtube page

timestamps in the comments

Advertisement