Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE Recruitment Panel - How does it work?

Options
  • 18-01-2023 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all, I applied for a job with HSE and received an email congratulating me on being put on a ‘panel’ (3rd). I haven’t been involved with a process like this before, initially thought it was quite strange being congratulated for being ‘awarded’ a place on the panel when I’m not the ‘number 1’ candidate.

I applied for a specific post, with one post available, JD states a ‘panel may be created from successful candidates’.

I’ve gone through numerous guides online, most are referring to large scale panel-creating interview processes (such as creating a pool of Physios for example) but not specific posts

From my understanding, the ‘expressions of interest’ will be shared with candidates, starting at number 1. Obviously the expectation is that person will take the job.

Couple of queries:

Does the creation of a panel mean there are other jobs in the pipeline that I would be applicable for? Or is the panel creation process just standard procedure, thus I shouldn’t hold my breath about other posts?

I’m aware being placed on the panel doesn’t mean I should expect to he called for other roles… just wondering if panels are created anyway or are they only created if there are other opportunities in mind/coming up?

Has anyone been put on this recruitment process before? Any ideas what I should be expecting? 

How long does this process generally take?

I’m assuming it doesn’t mean much so I don’t have any expectations that I’ll be recruited, just confused as to the process!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

On the HSE there's no expectation that number 1 will take a specific post: EOI will be sent to a few people, and the highest placed who expresses interest will take the post. The rest stay on the panel for the next post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mwydro

Thanks! Do you know if the panels are created with other posts in mind? Or is it just bog standard practice?

Does the panel size change depending on the estimated number of jobs that may become available?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It depends on the area and occupational group, AFAIK, Sometimes it's bog-standard practise: having reviewed a bunch of applications and done some interviews, they'd like to keep the good ones on hand in case a vacancy comes up

But unless you get into some very large groups, it is difficult to predict how many vacancies there will be in a year. Eg a hospital with N-hundred FTE nurses knows it will probably have V vacancies each year - but not what level they will be at, or in what speciality: while a clerical officer can be moved from one department to the next with more-or-less transferable skills, the same ain't true for nurses except at the lowest levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DailyDan

Hi, I'm in the same situation and also have those same queries. Placed 6th on a panel for a specific post and I'm fairly certain someone ahead of me on the panel will accept the post.

I was wondering if future posts would be created in that grade and area so the HSE can pull from the panel, otherwise it seems like waste of resources to create panel for one post?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Augme

The creation of a panel exists to save resources. Even in the situation there is one post and there's no plans to create an additional post it is generally considered good practice to create a panel. The creation of the panel requires very little resources, it just basically grouping the people who passed onto a list and saving that in a folder.

The panel can then be used if the person first on the panel who initially took up the role doesn't remain in the job. This means that rather than doing the whole recruitment process all over again you just go to the next person on the list.

Basically don't assume that because there's a panel it means there will be a other job or role created. They aren't always correlated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Bodmar12

Within the HSE, panels are usually kept for at least 1 year for number of reasons.

The person leaving the role may have to use up annual leave accrued and also work up their notice period, usually 1 month min. but may vary depending on the role.

Within that timeframe alone persons in position 1, 2 or other may have already secured alternative employment and the employer will then approach the nxt candidate in line.

Also with the HSE they have long vetting process, checking references and qualifications and also garda vetting. This can throw up all sorts and cause candidates to be dropped from the panel.

Other reasons for forming a panel would include offering "fixed term" or "specified purpose contracts"

These would be to fill the role of say a person taking a sabaticle or maternity or other leave.

Employer can offer these type of contracts for the role to the nxt available candidate.

Its also not uncommon to be on a panel for 12 months before being contacted.

Basicaly the panel stops the need to carry out further interviews..

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mtb_sends

@Bodmar12 Any idea how long the vetting process typically takes?

Can vary 6 to 8 weeks but can be longer..

HSE dont accept written CV's as bona fide. They use the contact info of person/s who are giving the reference and contact them.directly to fill out their questionaire and wait for thar to be done and returned..

Usually between 3 and 5 references are needed. And also the garda vetting can take differrent lenghts of time...depending on many things, especially if they have to contact other juristictions or countries.

@Bodmar12 are the questionaire and garda vetting a part of the recruitment for all roles or only certain areas. I naively thought it was little more than a call to confirm dates of employment

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Hi and congrats, a friend of mine also has an interview with the HSE for CO coming up.

What kind of questions are to be expected?

• Advertisement

All.roles ....as their is usually contact with the public or patients or other vulnerable persons.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭half pint

Hi, I have just got through this process myself. In my application the HSE asked for 3 referees, they only contacted the first 2 on the list to fill out the questionaire.

The Garda vetting is for everyone who works in the HSE no matter what the job and unfortunately it can take many weeks to come through.

Hi @half pint Thats grand thanks for the info. How long was your recruitment process from the time you did the interview to starting your role?

I did the interview in early October and I started work there this week. I was placed about halfway down the local panel. I also had to give a lot of notice in my old job so that delayed my start by a few weeks.

@half pint Thanks. I only interviewed mid-December so I probably have some time to wait yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mwydro

How long did it take between the interview results being sent and the expressions of interest stage?

I interviewed a the start of December, no EOI yet!

I was placed on a panel mid October. About a week later the EOI mails started. I was well down the panel so it took over a month to get something. This was a regional panel so I think they had a good few jobs lined up waiting for the panel to form. Hope you get something soon!

@half pint Is the questionnaire emailed or posted to them do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Garda vetting is about 2 weeks at the moment. We had some people vetted in late Jan and took 2 weeks. It can take longer, when demand is up. Also takes longer if you have lived abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

References are done emailing form to referees and they can return it by email.

• Advertisement

Sorry I'm unsure which questionnaire you mean??

@half pint Hi, did you have to fill out a verification of service form as part of the process or is that only for existing public sector staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sunflower47

Hi I was placed 64 on a north Dublin panel - national recruitment campaign for grade IV. Is it likely to get offered something within a year. I asked how big the panel but they would divulge for data protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Clairebear500

That data protection excuse is bull. You are asking for very broad anonymised information. They are a public service body and are obliged to release this kind of information i.e. if a media outlet asked how many people were on a panel, they would be obliged to release it under FOI. Equally you could ask for the info under FOI yourself but I understand you're probably reluctant to be seen to be antagonistic in your position. Anyway their bull response just riles me. It's more laziness or someone full of their own ignorant importance.

Advertisement