Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland - impossible to correct Name on account & bill

• 18-01-2023 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Juran

We've spent a year trying to get both our names on our EI account and bill. We are join owners of our house for almost 20 years. Both our names appear on house deeds, land folio, virgin media account & bills, tv licence, household waste, house insurance, etc. Both our names used to appear on the old ESB bills and then Bord Gais as we switched. My husband switched to EI a couple of years ago and asked to specify both names on all systems, bills, etc. Only his name appears, they ignored his request. We have spent a year trying to sort this. Emails and phone calls by both of us. Last year EI told us he would have to call, couldnt be me. He did, was told it would be sorted and nothing happened. Today I called again, the EI person was very nice but told me my husband has to call them. I asked, what if he gets hit by a bus today ?

I was also told a number of times over the past year, that the naming fields are not big enough for 2 full names. I understand, but we requested that our first names can be initials, so that both surnames can then fit eg. M.Smith & J.Murphy. this is what most other services providers have done for us. Its like banging your head off a wall !!!

Are companies aware of the importance of name appearing on bills ? Proof of address! Plus if anything happens to one person, at least the other person has legal rights to access the joint accounts.

I,ve concluded its easier to switch to SsE or anyone and start account name from the start again.

Anyone else have or had the same problem ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Easiest option is to change providers. Look at Bonkers.ie & see if another provider is giving better prices. We charge providers each year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭AyeGer

First world problems 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yeah, by the time they have it corrected you'll be moving to another provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭mct1

We did that 5 or 6 years ago. I rang, passed the phone to himself to confirm, and they happily added my name to the bill. I called them today to change our plan, no problem.

Come to think of it my neighbour did the same - her name needed to be on the account to receive the over 70s household benefits electricity allowance - said they were very helpful, added it straight away.

Oh and himself and I (and the neighbours) have different surnames and my full first name and his initials are on the bill, so I really don't know why they can't do that for you. Have you told them you're prepared to switch providers to solve the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Perhaps it would be worth contacting the Commission for Energy Regulation.

I think that it is easy to contact them on line and explain exactly what you said here and ask them to follow up on your behalf.

I think that this may help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Juran

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, i explained we would change providers. The young lad on the phone couldnt do much, in fairness, its not his rules.

We,,ve always called them during the week while at work, so we're not together when we call. I dont know if they have weekend support. If they said to send in copies of documents to prove the names, or sent a letter in eriting signed by both people with copies of formal ID, or whatever .... just have a defined process in place and write it on the website under frequency asked questions. Surely people are changing names all the time, with new rental tenents, marraige, divorce, sales of house, etc...

• My parents had joint names on ESB and Electric Ireland accounts for years. Seems like they can do it.

It’s also not 1950. A lot of couples may prefer joint names.

Advertisement