Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is estate agent messing me around?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

And tell him "My bid is on the table for ten days, after that I will be withdrawing it".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

IAVI was amalgamated into the SCSI about 12 years ago. It was NOT a consumer organisation - it was their own lobby group. A bit like SIMI for motor retailers and Retail Excellence for retailers. That's why they didn't do anything as it had zilch to do with them

The Property Services Registration Authority is the place for any complaints and has been since 2006 and they are fairly rigorous in their investigations and take action with serious consequences - here's some of the results https://www.psr.ie/sanctions-prosecutions/ 

But like any industry and profession, you have good, ordinary and bad and if you have bought and sold as often as I have, (16 times) you get to know which are which in an area. In Naas / Newbridge there are 3 agents I simply don't bother with and I'll be in the market for an investment property later this year and will not even enquire if a property is listed by ether of those 3. Likewise there are 2 that I see as excellent and I know they will give me the true lie of the land on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Fair point. People should report any activity they find questionable.

I have bought and sold now 6 times and all I can say is that you have to vet the estate agents you deal with. Some are simply better than others. Same thing buying a car.

But always remember that they have sold hudreds of houses and have a lot more experience than us. So people coming on to boards and thinking they know how the business works having bought one house is somewhat akin to people thinking they know better how to teach a class full of children that the teacher who has been doing that job for years.

We all think we know better than the professionals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You guys have a lot more patience than me. I've bought exactly one house and I'm never dealing with the hell that is buying a house again 😬

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Brings new meaning to the phrase 'it's right up your street'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Twice we were in a situation where there was a bidding war and we were the underbidder. Both cases, next day, the EA rang us and said that the highest bidder has pulled out and the vendor was willing to accept our bid. Makes you wonder....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my attempt at a complaint was made in 2003 and there certainly was no obvious supported way to complain.

and when we subsequently sold that house, it was comical how bad one estate agent in particular was; we'd been warned about them (not just our local branch); the lack of interest they had in actually putting work in to sell was funny. on their first visit, in late 2011, i.e. very near the bottom; 'oh, you'd be lucky to get €Xk for this, i can get you €Xk from someone i know, are you interested in taking €Xk?'. he clearly had an investor lined up and just wanted to shift the house instantly.

we sold via sherry fitz for 15% higher than what the above crowd insisted was top dollar.

Advertisement