Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screw for front derailleur broke

Options
  • 18-01-2023 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭

Cycling home on the hybrid today and the screw used to tighten the front derailleur broke. Half of it is stuck and I can't get it out. Apart from having to get the whole front derailleur replaced is there anything I can try to remove it. I think it's a loss cause myself:(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean the screw which clamps the band that holds the derailleur onto the frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Is any of the screw sitting proud of the band? It might be possible to get a pair of vice grips onto it and unscrew the remainder of it.

Otherwise drilling it out is an option. You'll want a hss drill bit smaller that the bore of the screw, and a steady hand. A centre punch would be useful to stop the tip of the drill bit wandering

No part of the screw is sitting proud of the band. It cleanly snapped. I don't know how it could have happened. I was just cycling along and I noticed the derailer was suddenly lose.

It does seem a little unusual, but metal fatigue happens.

Can you post a picture, in case there's something we're missing that might mean not having to go at it with a drill

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think with some derailleurs, the hole for the screw goes all the way through, so screwing it in (if you can get purchase on whatever is exposed) may be easier than screwing it out...

I was just thinking the same thing, if you go slowly with a drill bit, it might just catch the screw an continue to screw it in until it comes out the far side

Thanks for the feedback folks. I don't have a drill bit so I think a trip to the LBS is in order.

Advertisement