Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti theft aids?

• 18-01-2023 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I had my 2013 Toyota Aqua stolen from Rush/Lusk train station and written off. Apparently they are a walk in the park to steal. With the insurance I've replaced it with a 2013 Nissan Note. It has a push button start which is new to me and it's fitted with an immobiliser.

Is it worth fitting any extra gadgets to deter car thieves? And if so what? I really don't want that stress again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

If it has push button your fine. That would mean it has an alarm & immobiliser. I don’t think Nissan Notes are a target for thieves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Push button generally means keyless which can be easily stolen with the likes of a signal booster. Have a look at the Autowatch Ghost, car basically won't start without a code put in (using buttons in the car) if you're overly concerned about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Sorry to hear that happened you, bloody well sucks to put it mildly.

Old fashioned steering wheel locks are a good deterrent and give you some peace of mind. Get a decent one like the Stop Lock Pro or a Diskloc.

I had a Stop Lock Pro on my MK2 Golf. Some thieves tried to steal it one night, they got into the car but couldn’t break the crook lock. It claims that the steel can only be broken with power tools.

The Japanese imports don’t come with an immobiliser as standard (car crime is much lower over there) so thieves target them and old cars as you can steal them with a few tools you can keep in your pocket.

Hopefully the new car goes well for you.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

The Aqua being easy to steal is the only thing that made it desirable to the thief. There are no absolutes of course, but likelihood is if the thief is going to the trouble of using a signal booster, I would suggest that they'd target something more expensive than a Note.

While the Ghost is fantastic technology wise, there's no point in spending over €500 one one for a Note. At the other end of the spectrum with a very expensive car, I'd be letting the serious gangsters take it while I was fast asleep (and track it later via GPS) rather than be woken up by a gang asking for the code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Get a faraday pouch/box on amazon and stick your keys in it at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Keyless theft is done by professionals who steal the cars to strip it for parts or export to other countries. Only high end cars are targeted for this.

Jap imports with no immobilisers are stolen by 17 year olds who just want to joyride the car and burn it out later that night.

Nissan Note can’t be stolen by joyriders since it has alarm & immobiliser, and it wouldn’t be a target for the kind of people doing keyless theft.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

For one of my mine, I have a battery isolater switch, and a clutch pedal lock. Basically, they need to reconnect the battery and then have to break the clutch pedal lock to get it going. Its a detterent. Make it look harder to steal, they might move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Thanks for the tips. I got a Faraday box so outside my door should be OK and I'll get Stop Lock Pro or Diskloc for the station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Does anyone get aftermarket alarms fitted anymore? Or do the thieves not see these as a deterrent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭freddieot

A medium chain and good padlock. Acts as as a 'move to the next one' deterrent. Beyond that, no matter how fancy the crook lock or bar zoke they will always find a way around it if they really want the car, quite often damaging the wheel \ dash in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

A small tin box is just as effective but not so elegant. You can enhance it further by lining it with tinfoil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

As a deterrent a disc lock is hard to beat (the one that covers the whole steering wheel). I've seen several tests done on them on TV/Youtube. Can only really be removed with power tools. Unless they really really want the car they won't bother.

Downside is they're a bit cumbersome putting on and off, but better than not having a car on a cold rainy evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Yep, they obliterated my ignition barrel and cracked my windscreen from the inside trying to get the steering lock off the wheel.

Pissed off at the time obviously but overall glad to still have the car.

It will act as a deterrent but if someone really wants it, like a high end or in demand car, they’ll take it one way or another.

Stories from the late 90’s and early 00’s in the UK of old diesel Mercs and Peugeots being lifted off the street onto trucks in the middle of the night as they were in such high demand in export markets.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

An apple airtag costs about 20 euro once off and can track an object for a year and then it's battery needs replacing. It can easily be hidden in seat or headrest or dash etc. No ongoing fees except a new battery.

It won't stop car getting nicked but you can typically find it the next day which helps getting it back.

You need an iPhone to set it up, but you can use a friend's.

You can buy a shock car alarm for around 50 euro that connects to cars battery. It makes noise to scare away hopefully before they can get into car or pop bonnet. Easy DIY.

Any jap imports particularly with square registration plates scream steal me to joy riders.

Often keys are taken during house burglaries even while owners asleep upstairs so thrives may get key to car from inside house. They also use fishing rods through letter boxes to snare from hallway table.

^^ Yep I have an airtag in all my cars. Removed the speaker from them so they don't beep. My only issue is trying to remember where I hid them in a years time!

Samsung and other manufacturers have their own too.

My own car can be tracked via GPS from the manufacturer, but as it relies on the mobile phone network, and hasn't got it's own independent and hidden power source, I don't think it will drop my insurance.

Will they connect with any android? I also have some "Chipolo" but they will only connect to my phone, so fairly pointless as a tracker. Airtags work well as will connect to any iphone

Just Samsung (with Samsung SmartThings Find enabled, but I think it is on most) as far as I know.

Samsung have a slightly higher market share than Apple, so in theory could be as good if not better, but in practice I'm not so sure.

When Google get around to releasing their AirTag competitor, compatible across all Android devices, it should have a better community to find things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Own tracking by manufacturer is problematic. Those who steal these know about the feature and jam or disable it. Cars like Tesla, Leaf etc have been stolen in Dublin both of which have manufacturer tracking. These are not joy riders but steal to order professionals. Manufacturer tracking stops working within minutes of being stolen, often using a flatbed tow truck.

Advertisement