Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating an insulated steel garage

• 18-01-2023 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Hi, I recently got a 40sqm insulated steel garage built with a concrete base. Can anyone recommend a suitable electric (or other type) heater that can be installed. I’m thinking something that will keep a low level heat, maybe 12-14 degrees C. Then I can boost it if required.

would a panel heater or modern electric radiator work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Would you be looking to run this heater constantly? 24/7 or?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

If you've night /day metering and decent insulation you could consider the quantum type storage heater

The farho type wall mounted heater then seems to be popular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

I was thinking of running it for a few hours each day on a thermostat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭monseiur

Check out the following, all blow out hot air - Vevor Diesel Heater, Hcalory Diesel Heater both under €150.00 and the more expensive SIP 09311 Infrared Paraffin/Diesel Heater which uses 1.5 L. Paraffin per hour

Would you want to be bothering with fuel heaters ?

Electric is clean anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭monseiur

Agree, but unless the steel garage is super insulated (which is very rare) heating with electric could prove costly over time considering the current (excuse pun) price per unit.

I guess it all depends on the application, office hours etc ?

Radiant heater might suit if sitting at a desk in a poorly insulated shed?

My plan is to keep low level heat in the garage to avoid condensation. That’s what the garage manufacturers recommend. I may also put a dehumidifier into it. I have night saver so was thinking of running a stat at 12-14 degrees and have it on a few hours at night and for an hour or two in the evening. I’ll look at one of the larger electric radiators. I might get a workshop fan/ceramic heater to top up the heat if I want to work on something in the garage.

The quantum high heat retention might be an option so for low level heat

You'd be mostly on the cheaper rate , should be enough heat stored for 24/7 i'd guess with those .Might need some boost heat on the day rate

Post edited by kirk. on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

How was the slab contructed - water/moisture berier, insulation? If no, i suspect you will be runing high cost .

• Advertisement

It’s a fairly thick concrete base with a damp proof course. No insulation in the floor. 40mm insulated walls

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I see the garage is 40 sq. m, what height is it?Are there any drafts? I see the walls are insulated, what about the roof? Does it have large double doors that will fit a car? Are there any windows, if so double or triple glazed?

Unfavourable answers to these questions would suggest a considerable heating bill if electric heaters are used.

I think your starting point should be to consider what can be done to improve the insulation and to reduce drafts.

Advertisement