Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Sony home cinema system poor audio quality

Options
  • 19-01-2023 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I got hold of a Sony DAV-DZ860W system second hand; I believe it's quite a high end system so was looking forward to trying it out.

Connected all the speakers and the optical input from the TV - it's working but no matter how much I tweak the settings the sound is really poor - minimal bass and there is output from the corner speakers but so low it's barely audible.

Does anyone know if that's par for the course or are there any extra settings I should be looking at? I've tried all the default sound modes and none seem to make much difference. Tweaked the levels for the speakers using the OSD which helped a little bit but still not very impressive. Haven't run a calibration as I don't have a calibration mic, does anyone know if that's necessary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Don't know the system but any 5.1 I've used,had a send tone set up levels system?

All this money some spend on trying to get the best out of TV documentary sound,surround,THX etc, when the film sound recordist only records these days in Mono! Long time since BBC insisted on M and S,but I digress.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Not sure if this one has that, in the calibration guide in the manual it tells you to plug in the calibration mic, which was missing when I got the system.

Maybe I'm just expecting tooo much but I'd have thought when playing CDs in it or watching an action movie or similar the sound should be blowing you away, at the moment I'm asking myself "Is this even on....?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Just been talking to a Sky guy today about the fact that annologue sound ie,phono/rca sockets or even scart,no longer available on Sky Q,or indeed many new Tvs,and hdmi input Amps very expensive.Older audio systems,expensive in their day,harder to use without DACs etc.Thanks.

Advertisement