Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argos to close all Irish stores starting March

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

But most will be Chinese tat or not deliverable to ROI, just go to builders merchant and get a Stanley.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

That's the thing most will be tat

But they'll have the Stanley in there too in a few different types

That's Amazon .Takes effort

• It’s quite a long fizzle out if they’re going to be open until June. I can’t imagine they’ll have much stock even by March if they’re not taking new deliveries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

But oul Jeff has enough money, maybe spend a bit locally.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Disappointed (kind of....) but genuinely not surprised

I see some here blaming brexit - I grant that the s-show that is brexit is a factor but, by far, not the main one

The primary issue is that people get a wider and better value choice on-line

I use amazon for nearly all of what I would have got from argos etc.

I see that some here have stated that they are not using amazon due to customs issues, but they genuinely have this covered. The price at checkout is in euros and is the end price you will pay. They get most items to me within 24 to 48 hrs and I live on the west coast. And.... nearly all are coming from uk fulfilment ctrs (mainly liverpool) - The only thing that came from the new Irish fulfilment ctr was a calculator for my sons school work. I am sure that this will increase over time and then hopefully Amazon.ie ....... ?????

I am not sure how high st chains like argos / gamestop / easons can compete going forward

• Brexit has a scale impact too btw.

If you’re a smaller operator it’s extremely challenging to trade into the EU from outside, or across any serious international frontier.

Things like being able to load a truck a mixed load have become extremely challenging.

Amazon has enormous scale, very flexible and sophisticated IT systems and operates right across Europe.

Ive ordered items from Amazon UK in Ireland that have just automatically routed from the continent though their own logistics system.

A lot of smaller and medium operators can’t realistically do that. Plenty of company have adapted though and it just means approaching Irish sales though European networks or handling logistics differently to ensure deliveries go straight to Ireland and not though UK warehouses.

A lot of companies already operate just in time to stores without warehousing anyway, so a fridge made by Bosch doesn’t go to some central warehouse, it goes from factory to store / local distributor or to a fulfilment company that delivers it direct to the customer in a lot of cases. Or a delivery of clothes for a retailer may just go straight from say a factory Indonesia to the store in UK chain’s shop Cork, via a logistics company like DHL or similar.

For example, I ordered Ecco shoes today and they’ll dispatch from Poland rather than England. From point of view it makes very little difference. The transit time though UPS or DHL is still just a couple of days.

Argos basically is ending its stand alone stores in both the UK and Irish markets. They’re a subsidiary of Sainsbury’s and are being rolled into the parent company’s store network. Argos simply is ceasing to exist as a stand alone business, which ends it here in Ireland. It’s a combination of factors, but mostly that Argos’ entire business as we knew it is disappearing .

• Not sure why so many feel the need to say Argos doesn’t have anything they want anyway/they don’t go anymore/haven’t in years etc as if Argos leaving is an irrelevance.

it’s absolutely massive and a serious blow not only to a lot of customers but to 400+ staff. My local Argos has staff I can remember since I was a kid.

My hearts broken for them tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I agree 100%…People go on about online shopping like it’s the ultimate modern convenience…

its not …in person in store shopping and what you procure and when.. being by and large on your timetable and your convenience is always preferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’m the same. Love to pick and see the item. Online is my last resort rather than go to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

I was looking for an item and decided to check Argos.

Guess what! It's in stock.

I just missed the closing time otherwise it would be same day collection, but can collect tomorrow instead.

No need to wait for Amazon delivery.

It's a euro cheaper than Amazon and €3 cheaper than Boots.

Only thing is that I'm heading to Belfast on Monday so can pick it up on the way for €4 cheaper than Argos IE.

Normally a few euro would not bother me and I would support the local branch, but the jobs are gone now anyway.

Going to miss the convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The Spire was unveiled 20 years ago in January 2003. It has a time capsule that will be opened in 200 years. It contains carious items which included an Argos Catalogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,707 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Always handy if you needed something now - kettle broke, head down to Argos.

My mouse crapped out last week so bought a keyboard/mouse set last week - not many places to easily buy a mouse in Dublin so very handy for me to pick up on the way home from work. A month ago I needed a USB flash drive - cheap enough there

But they were overpriced and what they sold was the cheapest common denominator brands

Will be missed by me for those odd times I need to use them - I'm from the generation that as a kid would browse their catalogue dreaming of the Christmas presents I might get (but ultimately would not get)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

>Well in fairness ordering it without ever seeing it in the flesh is exactly what happened in Argos.

But they do let you check it out at the customer service desk - even opening it (carefully) for you - and restock it before you pay for it if its not what you want.

It was a clever way to vast range of stock in small building footprint.

Also Some stores have/had some items on display - like Jewelry and watches and Christmas toys and for sale items.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have told mum about this news on Thursday and she wasn't particularly happy about hearing it. She had told me that she wanted to buy a new kettle and food processor from there very soon. She had plans to do it later this week if that was possible.

As soon as I read from this thread that the stock levels were going down very low in a lot of Argos in recent times since when they were operating here during most of the pandemic. It didn't fill me with a lot of confidence. I had experienced this feeling before when I tried & failed to buy a new laptop off the Argos website about 2 years ago.

My first thoughts when I saw Argos.ie in it's current form. I thought the design of it at that time when compared to 2018 was that it a right load of crap.

The 2018 version of the site was nearly like a exact copy of the UK site. I went on the previous version of the site to click and collect a lawnmower from Dundrum Town Centre at that time. That version of the site was very much like a dream to use than compared to what it is like right now.

It felt like the current website was trying to become too exhausting for the regular consumer to browse through on a day to day basis. It is by far the worst ever Irish retail website that I have visited in my lifetime. And nothing else actually beats it. It really is that terrible.

I even tried to search for an app from Argos on Google Play to see if they had it for people using Android phones here as well. And guess what no app available in Ireland. I thought that was pathetic in this day and age.

Having no proper online presence in the retail space here really means economic suicide for your business model. And it really was a disaster for the Irish arm of Argos to not really make any effort to adapt to that model. These job losses which have been reported in the news this week is the major consequence of putting them into that space.

Post edited by dublinman1990 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Somehow it was not far off the answer I was expecting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I will say I told you so when the Government put limits on what we all buy online. it needs to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Why are you telling us that the government need to do this very soon in a thread about the closure of Argos here?

Are you saying this because people who are buying all of this stuff is bad for the planet or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

I have two friends who work in one of the Dublin stores and both of them quick on their feet as I'll put it, applied for jobs in Amazons new fulfilment centre and they have been hired, slightly better pay and conditions also,

I know that's no good to Argos staff outside Dublin, yet there is hope, another friend in Offaly is going to try fastways warehouse in Portarlington, another friend in Portlaoise who's been with Argos as a team leader/manager prospects look good as jysk in Portlaoise are looking for a manager, with slightly better pay again,

I'm not knowledgeable enough to figure this out, but if long term staff leave now/walk out for new jobs, would they lose their entitlements?

It'd be a unusual one, knowing their jobs are gone in a matter of months, and just walking out, then the company will have to temporarily hire staff, which might be hard because people won't want to work there for a short while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think that’s pretty much impossible.

maybe if governments put limits on what landlords charge in rent to businesses… more value would be available to consumers in stores as prices would not be as inflated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Doubt they would hire temp staff. They'll just hobble along until March and reduce opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 johnnycullen

Totally true, what will happen when companies stop allowing working from home as they are doing in the states.

A few years back, when Prime wasn't massive, delivery cost for a 20-40 euros purchase with amazon was about 3-6 euros. Now is up to 9-10. Obviously, they force people into Prime, but, Why should I pan another monthly subscription if I don't want to buy every month and I'm not interested in their offer? (by the way, shouldn't be illegal to offer this kind of bundles?

Amazon is no offering bargains either, in most of the product is the same price, even 1 or 2 higher, not too mention that sometimes you find the same crap as in Aliexpress, with exactly the same pictures and descriptions, but more expensive.

Is the big companies script step by step. First they kill the competitors by slashing the prices, after, they go back to normal prices or even higher than before and force you into buying services you don't want.

So, from a consumer point of view, is terrible news.

People vote with their wallets at the end of the day. Supermarkets killed the butcher and the baker. Retail Parks killed town centers. Now online is killing retail parks. Online shopping is generally cheaper and more convenient, and it's rare that anyone needs anything RIGHT NOW. Two clicks and whatever you want is at your house in 2-3 days. No getting the bus into town, or paying for parking somewhere, or queueing at a checkout, it's just done.

Half of this thread is people saying they've never used Argos and the other half only use it for an emergency, which says it all really.

Amazon isn't the be all and end all. There are plenty of other online stores to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Online is rubbish when buying clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭SteM

In your opinion, why would offering a 'bundle' be illegal?

People find different things more convenient.

I find ordering from Amazon with just a few clicks and my item delivered to my door 24-48 hours with Prime later far more convenient than having to take time out of my day to drive down to Argos, find parking, and then drive home again.

Argos was not always instant either. Not unusual on checking stock to get "order now for collection on...." and it could be up to a week later.

Well, is not my opinion only, I mean, there are several cases when companies have been forced by judges to split their activities in order to protect the consumer, or prevent abuses. You can ask Zuckerberg or Gates about it. Netflix could argue that Amazon giving streaming services "for free" goes again a fair scenario, which wouldn´t be untrue.

Temp staff might be plausibly perceived as being hired with less employee rights. I would refuse to take such a role.

That´s not totally true, when people have options they can decide. We are going to an scenario with limited options, so people won´t have any other choice but to buy online.

• Advertisement

It's not really free though, if Amazon include streaming as part of a paid for subscription like Prime.

People have more options now than they ever had.

10 or 15 years ago you'd be hard pressed to get UK or continental companies to deliver to Ireland without exorbitant charges. It's much better now than it has been. The proliferation of online has more than made up for the demise of B&M stores.

As it stands, there's hardly a single person on this thread who NEEDS a local Argos, so what's the argument?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭SteM

Yeah, I'm sure Netflix could argue that alright.

@johnnycullen

Totally true, what will happen when companies stop allowing working from home as they are doing in the states.

Click and Collect lockers that you can collect from 24/7. Or pick up points. Amazon have both in the UK. You can order your item online and pick up at a time and/or place convenient to yourself - I think they may also have two hour collection for some items.

That might fill up a few of empty retail units, and suit former Argos Shoppers, but also serve those of us working from home who can accept home delivery :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I remember getting the ticket in Argos to collect the item used to feel like I 'won' something. But like other posters I have not been in an Argos shop for years.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Saudades

Would they give a cash refund on a gift card? Can't think of anything from there I need right now so not sure I would use the voucher before they close down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Amazon was a minimum spend before free delivery, iirc. Used to be €25. I've had prime for a number of years, so not sure what the current situation. Here, our stuff is An Post, but in the UK they have delivery hubs where you can click and collect as I understand it.

If everyone is back in the office full time, people will just use lockers/ hubs or do what they used to do pre-pandemic and get them delivered to the Office!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

Amazon should buy up the Parcel Motel lockers .... might be close to what UK have.

Parcel Motel are unfortunately closing shop in a few months.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Even after covid most smaller shops have their site as little more than a leaflet. You never know what they've got or how much and people will just order it off amazon as they'll know both. Amazon might not be the fastest or cheapest but I know if they've got it and when I'd get it, and for how much.

For brick and mortar the only shop I actually wander into to check stuff is my local hardware place as they're stupidly close but if they're closed I won't wait for morning and just order off Amazon and depending if I'm able to drop in screwfix or Halfords for some stuff.

I don't expect next day off some small crowd but just seeing stock and prices would be fine, and then some idea if ordering online of delivery other. If a site doesn't give me a delivery date I tend not to order off them if I can help it.

Something that's unfair is online only retailers can always maximize their profits playing around with price while physical retail get crucified if they ever put prices up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Francis McM

The thread headline is not accurate. Argos is only closing its stores in the Republic of Ireland. In N. Ireland, its stores will remain open. Therefore it is not closing "all its Irish stores."

• Advertisement

• Parcel Motel is owned by UPS so they might just repurpose them for their other services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭feargantae

Wondering this also! Have a hape of giftcards i bought discounted through a workportal before Christmas and can't find anything i want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Iceland has sold back its stores to the former franchisee. Still no sign of these European retailers that will come and fill the gap. Just an abundance of vape stores, barbers and bookmakers.

leaving the sinking ship

Article 4 of the Constitution. "The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sounds ominous- if they were profitable they wouldn’t be getting rid of them like that. Was in one lately and noticed the prices have risen substantially, more so than other places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Republic of Ireland is a football team, I live in Ireland

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Indeed, and we are a Republic. Fact. Also, I look on the Argus stores in N. Ireland as being Irish too. Do you not too? Argos are not closing those Irish stores. Fact. So if anyone is mislead by the thread title "Argos to close all Irish stores starting March", that clarifies it.

• Advertisement

No, Northern Ireland is a different country. They're not Irish, they're Northern Irish.

Advertisement