Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low trees or shrubs for tiny garden in urban area...

• 19-01-2023 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Office fronts onto a busy street, with a tiny garden inside front railings with a path a couple of metres long up to the front door. On each side of the path is an area about 2m long by about 3m wide. At the moment it's just grass and weeds. Would like to put something there, a few shrubs, just to take the urban wasteland look off it. Nothing too big to block front windows or light, nothing with deep or extensive roots to crack the path.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,623 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Would you consider clearing it and putting down some weed membrane, cover with gravel and add a few large rocks for interest then grow a couple of shrubs in large pots set among the rocks. What shrubs you put in depends on how much sun the area gets. What direction does it face? What time of day do you get sun in that room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭macraignil

A small shrub I think is nice is the Pittosporum tom thumb and there are lots of shrubs that can be kept to whatever size you like once they get trimmed regularly with Cotoneaster franchetii being one I think offers interest throughout the year.

A small tree I like would be the fuji cherry Kojo no Mai and there are lots of different Japanese acers that have interesting leaf colours and don't grow very big.

I agree with Looksee about removing the grass but I don't like those weed suppressant membranes and would prefer to plant something to act as a ground cover plant like Ajuga.

Happy gardening!

I don't normally like the membranes but this is one situation where it is worthwhile, I would not use it in shrub or flower beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭redseat1

It faces south east so plenty of sunshine, and no shadow over it from any neighbouring building.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I like the idea of a small cherry tree. Would like to keep the grass though, I like little patches of green in urban areas. The thought of of wild flowers appealed, but not sure it would look great outside of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

How about some irish native wildflowers? Low maintenance and long blooms

• Advertisement

Sorry to disagree, but while I love wildflowers and my 'lawn' - fairly large expanse of grass and weeds aka wildflowers - has lots of small stuff flowering in it, I don't agree that wildflowers are the solution here. Not wildflowers in the usual gardening sense anyway. They have a short flowering time then have to be left to re-seed themselves, at which stage in a small, semi formal area the OP is talking about, they just look scruffy.

You are absolutely right to have your opinion and to disagree. However its not true that all wildflower meadows have short flower period, some wildflowers themselves yes as for example poppies go fast but if you have good native mix the succession of different flowers will ensure long bloom. 3x2m is plenty of space, I grow wildflowers in pots with spring bulbs :D

Also only annuals need resending, perennial mix will grow back every year and can be cut back as soon as it looks untidy

Got a couple of small cherry tress in Lidl recently, and a number of bulbs, so will start the project with these anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Heather or lavender maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭rje66

Gravel with some small rocks and plants works well in small areas,

few pics of bits I've done. Be careful not to block out light and choose plants with longer flower times...hope it works out for you. Post a few pics too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Thats a lovely use of that space

Love the use of rocks like that. Very nice

So far just cleared out years of plastic and bottles, previous owner had some horrible wire mesh against the railings and ivy and some small stunted trees and briars had knitted into it. So cleared all away to expose railings, which will be painted. Put a small cherry tree on each side, think we'll leave grass grow back a bit now...

Advertisement