Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to get set up for Netflix?

• 20-01-2023 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is not the right forum to post this, but I wasn't sure where else to do so. I am basically asking for an elderly relative. They want to watch Netflix but have no broadband connection and just a regular TV.

I looked into subscription bundles offered by Virgin Media and Sky, but these are crazy expensive (like 50 quid a month!). I presume the cheapest way for them to get Netflix would be to get an independent broadband connection to the house and either upgrade to a smart TV or use some kind of intermediary box. Can anyone advise on the options here? Also, would a 4G mobile broadband connection suffice, rather than paying extra for fixed line broadband? They live in a city centre.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

You need to have some sort of internet connection yes.

I have been using (EIR) 4G mobile broadband for all my needs for a few years now - so yes in theory you can use 4G mobile broadband, but you need to make sure that the chosen provider has coverage and speed where they live.

You will probably find that between the mobile broadband and netflix subscription you will pay at least €30 anyway (my 4G subscription is €35/month but it can be had cheaper with 3 if you just use a SIM card and find a modem/router somewhere .. If they have a HDMI socket in TV, no need to get a smart tv, just buy a google chromecast with google tv.

I am not sure how much fibre broadband costs as it doesn't apply to me, but maybe see what is the cheapest fixed broadband you can get first?

Advertisement