Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steeples Chapelizod

• 20-01-2023 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1 Bettispaghetti

Hi guys I'm looking to buy an apartment and saw a nice one in the steeples in Chapelizod. I've said it to someone and they told me the estate is very rough. Is this right? Is it more ballyfermot than Chapelizod?

Any info would be helpful thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Can't speak for the estate itself but the area is a bit no man's land, I think it's Dublin 20 officially but would see it as Ballyfermot myself. I lived nearby for a while and one thing to note is there's no real supermarket nearby. Closest would be Tesco Ballyfermot or Aldi Kylemore, both around 20-25 min walk if you didn't have a car. No Spar, nice pub, coffee shops etc close, again 20 mins walk away in Inchicore or Chapelizod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

As Twee. mentioned it is a bit of no man's land - I drive up/down the hill once a week in the evening and it can be a bit "empty". It's a bit of a dreary walk from the main road down to the Steeples itself. Would definitely recommend taking a visit in the night time and see if you feel comfortable walking it.

Post edited by Gavin "shels" on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Yes defo take a trip out after dark. I looked to rent an apartment there years ago and one of the turn offs was that I would not have felt comfortable walking that stetch at the hill alone at night, coming off the bus or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Wood

The Steeples is fine. It's a bit out of the way that's all. It's a very small estate if you could even call it an estate.

The original entrance was on ballyfermot/sarsfield road opposite Markievicz park. Developers realised they could inflate the prices by blocking it up and bulldozing an entrance on St Lawrence's hill, effectively changing the address from D10 to D20.

It's about 5km from the city give or take, you have the liffey on your doorstep with the memorial park directly opposite the entrance to the steeples, the benefits of chapelizod village just a 5 minute walk away, same with the phoenix park, shopping wise you'd have to go to ballyfermot, but that's got a lidl/aldi/tesco, liffey valley is 10 minutes away on the bus.

I've lived in Ballyfermot, very close to the Steeples when they were blocking the initial entrance and there were never any problems, to be honest i had more hassle living in terenure, bray, and swords than i did in ballyfermot.

Safety wise you'd be fine, it just depends if it would suit commute/work/parking etc. Before i bought my place I knocked into the neighbours to see if they were weirdos, and to see if it was a mainly rental area or if it was fairly settled, i'd suggest you do the same, people generally take better care of the place if it's their own.

Hey guys,

Not exactly on topic, but does anybody have any information on Cremona Road in lower Ballyfermot? It would not be far from The Steeples.

• Advertisement
Advertisement