Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT experiences, quotes vs reality

• 20-01-2023 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

There have been several threads on VRT on here. But I'm gonna do one more. I'm ready to import a car, most likely from Japan as they seem to be the best value and quality.

I'm specifically looking at a BMW Active Hybrid 3 2012-2014, or an Audi B8 S4 2010-2012.

I've put the details into the VRT calculator and the quotes I'm getting are quite cheap. A 2011 S4 for example comes in at €2900. The BMW has no direct match, however it does list an Active Hybrid 5 imported from UK at around €1900 (the 5 has higher CO2 and generally higher value than the 3).

The thing is the price they value the car at. They apply around 90% depreciation, meaning their value of the cars is much lower than what they actually sell for.

I'm looking for any experience that people have actually had with VRT. Have the cars you've imported been around the quoted price? I understand I can print out the quote and present it to the VRT when presenting the car. They must surely honour the quote as close as possible, I'd expect maybe a few hundred Euro here or there in difference. But surely not going to be double or triple what they quote.

Any experience greatly appreciated. I think I'm almost certainly safer to go for the hybrid, but the whine of the S4 supercharger would be something else 😁😁

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

If the car is not on the calculator they will check Donedeal prices and will value it at what dealers are selling them for.

If its on the calculator with the same Co2 etc then thats the price you’ll pay.

The only time I’ve been screwed is when the car is not on the calculator. Me personally I’d avoid cars that aren’t on the calculator. Just isn’t worth the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

With the Active Hybrid 3, there won't be any for sale in Ireland, maybe not even the UK as are very rare. Less than 130 sold in UK new.

They do have the 5 series on the calculator as a UK import. It produces more CO2 and is arguably worth a bit more being a higher model and even more rare. If I show them the quote for this, the 3 series should surely be at most the same price. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Thanks.

What your hoping for is not going to happen. Its a completely different car with different Co2. If its not on the calculator then you’ll be shafted. I’ve seen a few of them on Donedeal recently. All Jap imports

You've seen Active Hybrid 3 for sale in Ireland? I'd not seen them. Just incase were getting our wires crossed, it's not the 330e, it's a different model. You may already know, I don't know how up on them you are.

If you can remember, How much were they selling for?

From what you're saying I may be better off going for the Active Hybrid 5, calculator puts that at around €1700 VRT (although that's importing from UK import, no Japanese Active Hybrids listed at all). They list current omsp at €3204 !! I used a 2013 with 50k miles as an example.

Yep, theres a guy on TikTok with one, there was two of them in TP Autos and one in Automatic Motor Centre, all seem to be sold now.

Can’t remember exactly how much they were, definitely in the 20 thousands anyway.

• Advertisement

I've asked my son to find him on TikTok and ask him what VRT he paid 👍

The page is called cinematic_visuals. Looks like he bought it from a garage here judging by the reg plates

Found him, you're right he got it from a dealer. He didn't find out how much VRT was according to comments. But it's apparently registered as a 330E, people had motorchecked it as didn't believe the car existed.

Advertisement