Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Estonia.

Options
  • 20-01-2023 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Can't see a thread on here but is has anyone seen the documentary series on

Quest about the sinking of MS Estonia???

Some unreal questions to be answered there. Will the truth ever be revealed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes it's very interesting, investigation closed very quickly.

If you have Discovery+ you should watch Disasters At Sea, lots of ship sinkings covered. It's also on Quest, I see tomorrow at 4pm it's on, Turbo also showing episodes at 6am tomorrow.

I have watched this a couple of times. The other ships crews were magnificent but there was very little they could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭GavPJ

She went down so quick that the responding ships could do nothing.

The military were definitely involved some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Whose military?

Reading up on it mentions possibility of collision with submarine.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The collision with a submarine was the last I’d heard when I looked into this, and apparanty a salvage team went down (which was illegal as the site is designated as a grave site and diving/visiting it with ROV’s is highly prohibited) and apparently found a big hole in her side (which makes no sense at all as per the official story)…..

it seems like there is more to this story than has been let on…..

I crossed the Baltic Sea last summer and the MS Estonia wasn’t far from my mind during the crossings….. it’s a big old lump of a sea!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭GavPJ

The Russian's would be my main suspect as some of their old equipment was

being smuggled out of Tallinn on the Estonia. The Swedish, Finnish, Estonian, Latvian,

Polish, Danish, Russian and UK Governments all signed an agreement that the wreckage

would be protected and diving/searching it would be illegal. They wanted it covered in

concrete. Tonnes of stones was tipped on it. Seems odd to me that the Brits (MI16)

would sign this agreement concerning something that happened in the Baltic Sea. They

must have been buying some of the military equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

New report

THERE IS NO indication that either a collision or an explosion caused the 1994 sinking of a ferry in the Baltic Sea in one of Europe’s deadliest peacetime maritime disasters, the accident investigation boards of Estonia, Finland and Sweden said...

“It looks like it has been damaged by the impact when it hit the seabed,” said Mr Backstrand of the wreck, as he presented the intermediate report on the preliminary assessment in Tallinn, Estonia. “We are not done yet,” he said, adding this was only a preliminary conclusion and more investigations are planned.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement