Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC upgrade query

Options
  • 20-01-2023 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I have a PC which is about 3.5 years old. It was a pretty good spec when I bought it and I specifically bought it for audio production purposes. The CPU is a Intel core i7 8700, RAM is 16GB DDR4, I've got about 1TB SSD memory and just the integrated graphics on the motherboard. The motherboard is a MSI H310M LGA1151 Micro ATX (I think).

I have found recently that the CPU is being overloaded quite easily with modern VST programs I am running in the DAW software which is a huge source of disappointment for me as I though that the CPU would still be at a pretty good level. I have run CPU benchmark tests online and my CPU always scores really poorly, way below the base lines it should be performing at.

I have scoured the web for tips and tricks to stop background processes and clean up the start up routines etc to clear out anything that might be compromising my CPU's performance but none of this seems to have had any affect at all.

This has led me to reluctantly start considering upgrading my PC. I think that my CPU is the weak point. As far as I understand the issue is not with RAM or hard drive issues. It's CPU specific.

Which leads me to my current considerations. Can I get a decent upgrade without having to upgrade my motherboard too. If i upgrade will it actually make the difference I need? Are there certain CPUs which are better for audio production and VSTs.

Should I just suck it up and start saving for a new PC?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Check your temperatures and clockspeeds (while running a benchmark or your DAW+plugins). You'll probably want to use something like cpu-z to see what's happening. If the cpu isn't performing as it should be then there's a good chance it has cooling issues, you might just need to repaste and remount the cooler or replace some fans that have died or just clean it all up.

If the cpu is running at full speed the other possibility that comes to my mind is that the VST plugins you are using are meant to run on a graphics card?

You could get a reasonable bump in cpu performance by upgrading to an i9-9900* (8 cores instead of 6 and a bit faster) without changing motherboard but there's no point even thinking about that until you know your PC can at least get the most out of the cpu you have (or if something is broken). My guess though would be that even if you could just do a cpu upgrade you won't find one at a sane price so actually a new board and processor (and possibly ram) would make a lot more sense and could even be cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

So I have downoaded cpu-z and run a bench test while overloading my CPU using the problem VSTs. It seems that the CPU is able to reach the max frequencies on all cores (ranging from 4100 MHZ to 4200MHZ) and the temperature is given as 70C. I'm guessing these figures would indicate that the CPU performance is ok?

I don't think any of the VSTs I'm running are meant to run on a graphics card but I'm open to correction on that. However I have done a quick google on it and it looks like I am correct on that.

Maybe it's time to start saving again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

The speed and temp sound ok. The fact you said benchmarks were showing it well below where it should be still stands out as odd though. If it really isn't running right that's probably something you can fix. Not my forté but if you say what benchmarks you are trying and the score(s) you are getting someone might know if the score (or benchmark) makes sense or not.

I guess you have but look at task manager under load to make sure your DAW+plugins are what are actually using up your cpu and there isn't something else running out of hand. And of course if the benchmark is actually ok and nothing is running out of hand it might just be that your DAW or a VST is bad or corrupted or your projects have become excessively ambitious ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭cornholio509

Not familiar with the software but i would start with windows itself . Open task manager and go to the startup tab . Anything you dont use select and disable it . Could be software that runs in the background that you are not aware of . FOr example keyboard apps and rgb apps start and run in the toolbox on your taskbar when you start windows . These run in the background and are not necessary for the running fo the system . Again thats just an example . Not sure if your PC is a self build or prebuilt . Could possibly be vendor software or its software included with drivers fpr ypur moptherboard and peripherals . Either way check out whats starting up when windows starts up . If its not system required diable it . THen restart the PC .

A reg clean could be what the system needs . Possibly your registry is bloated with unused or shared .dll files . It can cause a slow down especially if your running the system under load . Can be noticeable over time . Use Cleaner and do a registry clean . It might help .

ALso have your habbits change while doing projects . If your using google chrome for browsing and having a lot of tabs open it can have an adverse effect . Chrome is pretty ram hungry with a lot fo tabs open . Could be causing an issue with ram usage . So worth taking a look at your own habbits while using your PC .

It is also possible windows itself is the issue . WIndows update and windows defender could be going on in the background while your working . Go to windows wpdate and change its shedule for checking the updates . Once or twice a week do an antivirus scan yourself . SHould prevent random scans stating up while working .

As for VST and its plugins it better to do a project and run task manager and open the performance tab while doing a project . See if your IGPU is getting hit hard . IF not then its something in VST or the plugins that is causing the issue . I am not familiar with the software as i said

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Maybe you're just running out of RAM with all your plugins running? I'd start by buying a cheap 32Gb (2x16) kit, e.g. this Kingston Fury kit & sell the old 16Gb.

If the extra RAM doesn't help, you can keep it and upgrade the platform.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestion. However I don't think the RAm is the issue, there is an onboard CPU meter in the software and that shows the overload on the CPU quite clearly. It also shows CPU spikes from time to time when making changes within in the software or when changing parameters in the plugin instruments.

When I monitor the RAM and CPU usage in Task Manager the RAM seems to be nowhere near fully utilised (maxes out around 36%) but the CPU definitely spikes like hell.

I have kept an eye on the Resource Manager whih I found in the Performance section of the task manager and noticed that when my CPU seems to go in to overdrive suddenly it's related to a process running called TiWorker.exe. When I ended that process the CPU calmed down considerably.

I've googled that particular process and it seems to be related to to Windows updater which is strange because I disabled Windows updater a while back to avoid background CPU issues such as this.

Does anyone know if its possible to prevent this process from starting up again like this or do I have to end the process manually?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,076 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You could try this

... with links for Windows 10.

You might also/instead consider a fresh install of Windows 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭cornholio509

Glad i could point you in the right direction to find out what was causing the system load . Unfortunaeately i wouldnt mess with turning windows update off using third party software or screwing with reg edit to turn it off .

Best bet is to go to the start menu and select PC settings . when the setting menus pops up then go to windows updates and security . In the windows update window scroll down and you should see and the option CHANGE ACTIVE HOURS . set the time there for when your PC is been used the least . IF that fails then set it to delay updates for 7 days . IF that fails then there is a way to disable windows update altogether . You may need software called destroy windows 10 spying from github . THere is an option in that software to disable windows update .

Advertisement