Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart Light Switch Question

• 20-01-2023 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭

This evening I installed a 1 gang 1 way smart light switch

It's working now but when I initially wired it, it didn't. I thought perhaps I got the live and switched live mixed up but I'm fairly certain they were correct

I would think if they were mixed up, the switch would not power on at all? Is it possible at all to have these 2 wires in the wrong terminal and have it work and if so, is there any concerns about that?

At this stage I can't tell which is which anymore. If I was to open it back up again, how can I tell? There's 2 lots of wires coming in. One has the standard 3 wires and the other has just live and neutral.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Deanicus

Thanks, have a cheap thing but wasn't sure how to use it (not the same as the one linked) but have found a video showing how to use it. Might give it a go

Any idea if it is wired the wrong way, whether it would work or not? Just thinking if it's working and couldn't work the other way then I know I'm safe

Not sure never fitted a smart switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭10-10-20

These little devices all have very simple power supplies which are mainly capacitive droppers, and they don't really care what way around they are connected. They all typically have a thing called a bridge-rectifier which converts the AC into DC and it's not critical what's L and what's N. There are exceptions to that.

But at the end of the day, they should be wired up as per the markings. Funky things can happen otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

If it requires a L & N and they are the wrong way round, I would imagine the N will be the one getting connected to the switch wire when the switch goes on, so no light.

If the N is correctly connected and feed + switch wire are wrong way around, the switch circuitry probably won't be powered once in the off position.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Deanicus

Thanks. N is in the right place and the switch is working as it should. There's no mechanical switch (touch glass) so I was presuming if it was powered at all times and switched on/off as intended, then it is wired correctly. Just thought I'd check just in case.

Thinking now, I had changed this switch years ago for a dimmer but the dimmer broke not long after that so I put the old one back. Starting to wonder if perhaps I wired it the opposite way the last time and put the switch in upside down. That would explain why what I thought was the permanent live, actually wasn't as I was just going off the markings in the switch as to which was which

Advertisement