Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New ESB smart meter installed

• 21-01-2023 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

I received a new smart meter yesterday. How long before this meter becomes active or does it become active the day of install?

I am currently on a 24hour rate with my old plan? Is it worthwhile going on a smart plan?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

May take up to 30 days for your supplier to be getting the meter readings directly.

Whether switching will benefit you all depends on your usage. I've got a spreadsheet looking at mine https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rvGtfg3cLUMotKAQRwD9bcDiFuVxIR1ryUcemqr2Wik/edit?usp=sharing, but I've got real usage data because I had a Zappi installed over a year ago that was able to watch for how much was imported and at what times. I've recently pulled this data to plugin in to the spreadsheet to give some way of estimating (ignoring being out by an hour during winter atm). Generally unless you are going to be charging a car, heat water with your immersion because your heating system is set up to skip the hot water tank by default, or have storage heaters, etc the plans with a really cheap rate during the middle of the night are unlikely to be cost effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

If you can be disciplined in usage then changing to a smart plan can save a huge amount.

This would mean putting washing machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer and immersion on timer for the cheapest possible time. And also use the economy settings such as 45 min wash

Possibly the noise of the machines will disturb you, but the savings can be immense if you can do this.

My recent bills are lower than last year after changing to smart meter and taking night rate plan - and that's after the increases too

Advertisement