Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A beef quality question

Options
  • 21-01-2023 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭

A quick question for you guys.

I've been offered a heifer for the freezer this week. Late in the year as I usually get it in autumn.

It's been on silage all winter. Will that have an effect on the meat quality?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Are you sure it's a cow because if it is the meat won't be as tender than if it was a heifer or bullock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Silage is only preserved grass so it will not affect the quality of the meat. Do you know what breed and age she is as that could determine what fat cover she has.

That was my thinking. Not sure age and breed. We were to get it before the Christmas rush for the butcher but things got delayed and we missed the window.

Had one from him 12 months ago and it was fine so don't perceive any issues this time round.

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭massey 265

I used to get a heifer killed for freezer years back when family were young .a few things to look out for ,a hereford ,angus under 24months around 520kgs live with fat score 4 is ideal .heifers are preferable to bullocks as they finish younger and not as tough.do not get heifer stressed before slaughter as this leads to tougher meat.getting butcher to hip hang the sides in chill for 14 to 21days greatly enhances meat quality.get the meat frozen as quickly as possible after cutting preferably blast frozen and bobs ur uncle.good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Won’t make any difference. As long as it’s a heifer in the 20-24 month bracket with good fat cover, she’ll be fine.

only thing I would say there’s an awful lot in one animal for one family.

Thanks. There's 4 of us splitting it. Found a third was too much and roped in a 4th person. Works out well.

It's a case of whatever gets pulled out for dinner even if its a t bone on a Wednesday night.

Advertisement