Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finding a Priest for a Non Parishioners Church Wedding

• 22-01-2023 3:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭

My financee and I are looking to get married in June 2024. We are hoping to have the wedding ceremony near to where the reception will be held for convenience but its outside our Parish.

We found a church close to our venue and we approached them and got permission for the church to be used for our wedding ceremony on that date. Their policy though is that we have to organise our own priest. (which is fair enough).

We've then contacted the priests in our local parish, which would be about 40 minutes away from this venue. Speaking with them they've declined to do the wedding ceremony in the other church. again that is fair enough, that's their choice and we respect that completely.

We understand its some what inconvenient for the priest however people marrying outside their parish can't be that uncommon surely and we're happy to pay extra given the additional inconvenience.

We're trying to contact other priests in neighbouring parish's but does any one have any advise or experience as to what else we could try or consider?

Our fall back will be that we have the wedding in our local Parish which isn't the end of the world but we'd ideally like to have the Church ceremony close by to the reception to make it easier for family and guests.

Post edited by highgiant1985 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Wondering, do you/your fiancee attend masses, and/or involved in the parish? Do the priests know your face? Is this a country or town parish?

I'd imagine the priests in your local parish my be more likely to go out of their way, for someone who is actively involved.

On the face of it 40 minutes wouldn't seem very far. However, there is an increasing shortage of priests, meaning they are very busy, so likely have to prioritise.

Advertisement