Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof outdoor lighting

• 22-01-2023 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

Could anyone please recommend good to robust outside lighting that lasts please. Recently installed LED floodlights as pics, but they just don’t seem to last. Motion sensor would be a plus but not necessary as these seem to fill with water and the light fails.

It’s to light a large area, doesn’t need to be 150w just a good bright light. Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Any of the off the shelf lights in DIY stores etc should be fine, you might have just got a bad one. If you've only bought it bring it back. https://www.screwfix.ie/c/electrical-lighting/outdoor-lighting/cat8370001#category=cat840908

I'm not sure what the orientation of the light is but they need to be angled down. I've only come across lights filling with water where folks have used them as up lights for trees etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭amber2

thanks for the reply, one on the side of the house near roof level of a two story house fixed to the soffit and one just over the front door, both facing down but fairly exposed area. As you say may just be unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

you image just short to show IP...

what is it? perhaps these are just not rated for outside use

Says IP65 on the box but 66 on the light itself. I had an issue with the seller as I ordered radar motion detector and didn’t receive the motion detection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

well, rating seam fine, except when it mismatch, can you believe any print on it at all.... note that its just unlucky faulty unit still possible.

Ignoring that, there seam to be mastic bead around glass. I would guess this is not serviceable unit, next weak point would be where cable enter that casing - is wiring coming from bottom of the fitting - it should, to prevent run-in.

• Advertisement

Thanks @smuggler had leds up there years never has an issue and put in lidl sensor ones which leaked water into the sensor, shifted these to the back of the house which is shaded and they work fine, replaced them with these off Amazon and after a month there is just a dim glow in the leds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Have this yoke up about four years:

I didn't buy from them though, think it was pre-brexit from Amazon. The white diffuser popped off once after a storm, stuck some clear silicon adhesive around the rim where it clicks in and it hasn't budged in 18 months. Expensive mind you.

Was looking at them this morning @RainInSummer is there good light off it as the 20w was putting me off these, as the 100w/150w would just about do as it’s a large dark area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Well it does a small section near one corner of my house. Maybe 8m x 20m. It's not suitable for a work yard.

Reason I went for that is that it's on the house, the other ones tend to be more industrial looking.

If you're yard is big then I'd definitely say it wouldn't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Same problem here, i'm forever changing them, some last 12 months and some only a week or two.

Not buying any more cheap chinesium lights.

Will be buying philips or ansell branded lights.

Anyone know a good stockist of philips/ansell lighting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

A week or 2 ?

What sort of problems are you having

Afaik some of the larger wattage LEDs are more prone to failure ? Not sure on that one

Any of the cheap stuff you have to give it the once over for potential water ingress

Other than that my own cheap 30 watt led pirs are going for years without issue but I can see they're turning into rust buckets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A lot of the "Eastern" stuff is a false economy - it's not engineered by lighting or electrical engineers and suffer from the simplest of failures and faults and there is absolutely no quality control on the supply-chain in terms of components which make up these devices.

I see it frequently where you need 40x LED's for a project but a branded supplier in Europe has them priced for 1.27 EUR each, but yet that same LED is on Alibaba for 1c each? Then you think to yourself - well what harm can an 1c LED do when I need 40 - massive saving...

Yeah, well their colour temperature won't be consistent, some will be leaking near-UV light from coating defects, they will all have a different voltage drop and 15% will be faulty or so dim that they are worthless. And do they last the same as the premium supplier's ones? No way because they will all become stressed by the failures of other LED's within the circuit and end up blowing open.

Either they are a knock-off (very, very common) or it's a lower grade C or D binned item sold off as junk by the manufacturer.

Now I'm not saying that European suppliers are free of issues like this, I've had quality LED fixtures often fail, but at least you know that hey might have applied a safety test to the device or even have a working relationship with the supplier/manufacturer.

Advertisement