Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT 6 Wiring

• 22-01-2023 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello,

I am looking for someone who can do cat6 wiring for our house which is a new build.

We need some ethernet sockets around the house and wiring for IP cameras.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Will your electrician not wire CAT6?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bralend

No there will be no extra wiring like cat6 or for ip cameras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ok, I'm confused. At what stage is your new-build at?

Is there existing CAT6 in place?

The build is almost ready so i want to do the wiring after we move in. There will be only one coaxial socket for the internet in the living room and there is no cat6 in place.

i want to have my router/switch in the attic and from there i want to run cat6 cables through the walls in various places around the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

new build..., nearly finished..., wiring after you move in...

CAT had to be done along electrical , before walls boarded/plastered.....

How do you imagine to get wires into wall's? , unless you have installed conduits to pull cables you potentially face some damage/re-decoration unfortunately

• Advertisement

We bought the house off plans and they are building the house so i am not aware what they used. We have 0 communication with the builder and we only talk to the estate agent. Probably we should have asked earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I would have thought all new houses would come patched up as standard these days????

Is there any advertising material publicly available?

Are you looking for any specific information?

i have the below from the emails last year when we started looking for a house.

Electrical & Connectivity

• Infrastructure for two separate broadband providers
    • Infrastructure for charging of electric vehicles (charging packs not included)
    • External electric socket to rear
    • Generous electrical specification
    • LD2 category fire detection system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

generous electrical specification from a builder doesn’t exist

get someone in quick before house is finished

Infrastructure for two separate broadband providers

Where one would expect current builds would have, this could mean anything or nothing, they advertise that they installed two points for incoming ISP, but this not necessary mean local network distribution(CAT to all rooms from central point). Even if they did wire rooms, i would not expect CAT run to the attic and/or for IP cameras (presumably coming out at the soffit )

Consult your surveyor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ya'd imagine they'd say if house had wired ethernet?

Sounds like it's not there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Glaceon

My new build house came with two Cat 6 cables in the sitting room, kitchen and master bedroom, all terminating in the utility room. Also one going out to the utility boxes outside. Must have got lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I'd presume a lot are not putting it in forcing customer to go wireless

Just to verify - you are using those now for your network, or just seen them there?

Because i have not come across double CAT per room(unless custom build), i have seen where CAT was looped from room-to-room - suitable for phone line or "Fast Ethernet"(100Mbps) to some extent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I’m not using them yet but intend to in the near future. I can see where all of the cables terminate so I should be good.

V.Good, in this case you must be on

Generous electrical specification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

Two Internet Connections, Probably Coax for Virgin and Fibre for Others just to the box outside. Don't assume internet will be available on day 1 in a new build estate.

If you can find out who the electrician is for the builds they often will do the extras e.g. run cable from outside utilty box to attic, or some behind tv etc.... and you can pay them directly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

You should make sure that you get an electrician who actually knows how to install CAT6. That is to say, that they know it should not be treated roughly, needs to be terminated properly, and must not be kinked or put into bends of less than 100mm radius.

Cat 6 is not a piece of 2.5 T+E that can be yanked and twisted all over the place. At least not without severely impairing the data capacity of the cable.

Advertisement