Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patient attacked and killed in Cork hospital

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Be right back

It's a mystery how he/she hasn't been banned..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Be right back

Sadly his wife only died a couple of weeks ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭bmc58

Staff are scarce on the night shift in hospitals.Thet have may have several wards to cover.They do their very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

Why would they be banned? Making excuses for criminals is the entrée dish on the money making establishment menu.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One hospital I had to seek A and E help at DID have a separate part for eg drunks, I think it was Tralee. But clinical need has to trump anything else for priority, so if a drunk falls and splits his head open he must be seen urgently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Nearly every country in the world has hospital wards. Yes, things can be improved but people are going over the top here.

• Many people who have had mishaps have “drink taken“ but keep quietly to themselves awaiting treatment. The loud obstreperous drunks, so drives with other substances taken, are the problem cases when it comes to the nuisance or danger factor.

You may have a word with your German friend. Of course there are wards in Germany.

Most hospitals in Germany have single-sex, multi-bed wards; you can sometimes pay extra for a private or semi-private room. If you have private health insurance this can be included in your coverage, in return for higher premiums. Note that in German hospital wards there is rarely a curtain around the bed

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Re hospital & healthcare standards in European countries the above highlights the best ranking countries. Norway spends the most per capita on healthcare of any country in the world.

• Advertisement

My prison comment was along the lines of Mrs. O'Brumble wanting every room to be locked etc. Maybe not the best choice of words but lets look at what Mrs. O'Bumble is looking for.

Should be strictly single roomS, with only approved people able to access. Just like homes.

How do you ensure that only approved people are able to access those rooms? You'd need some sort of locked door on each room with a swipe card system that would allow staff to go into the room but not allow a patient access to another patient's room. How practical is that?

I'm not against single rooms by the way but there are pros and cons to having single rooms.

Single rooms are better for infection prevention and control although studies show that it is only marginally better. They are certainly better for dignity, confidentiality and privacy. There's also less nuisance noise in a single room and patients can often be more comfortable in single rooms.

Downsides are that some patients can feel isolated. It's more difficult for nurses to monitor patients when they are in single rooms when compared to a ward situation. A nurse can watch multiple people at the same time if they are in that ward whereas they can only check on one person at a time if people are in individual rooms. A 2008 study in Scotland said that only 41% of patients preferred a single room rather than a ward whereas other studies found that 2/3rd of patients preferred their own rooms.

Another downside is that staff are under more pressure when everyone is in single rooms. See the quote below.

Staff felt this meant they weren’t able to adapt as effectively or as quickly as they would have liked to the new environment, citing examples such as difficulty in monitoring more than one patient at a time and being unable to see patients who are at risk of falls when they got out of bed independently.

Staff also found it difficult to find each other and the decreased amount of contact with colleagues had an impact on team working, making it harder for them to observe their colleagues’ practise, quickly share ideas, or ask for assistance.

People can get murdered in single rooms too. And sexually assaulted. And have their stuff taken. I think it's a knee jerk reaction calling for all hospitals to be single room occupancy. We also don't have the money for it.

Like I said, I'm not 'agin' it. I just don't think it's practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

The difference is that he presented as an ill patient, and was treated as such. The murderous streak did not show up until after he was admitted. And now he is in Garda custody, where he will still get any medical treatment that he needs, even if it means being hand cuffed to a Guard when visiting the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A man has been charged in connection with the fatal assault of a patient at Mercy University Hospital in Cork on Sunday.

The man (32), who remains in garda custody, will appear before Cork District Court on Tuesday morning.

• She went on an absolute rant about the NHS for about 2 weeks … Basically she was left sitting on a chair in a corridor for a long period of time and then into a busy multi bed ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭sporina

tis an absolute nightmare.. from start to finish.. RIP to the deceased.. and my heart goes out to the family of same - but also to the family of the perpetrator.. esp his Mum.. my gosh what she hasn't suffered already..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭bigroad

Do we have the name of the killer yet or is there a reason ,they are keeping it quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The name of the accused can be published after he comes before the court tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Charges have been filed, this is now before the courts.

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement