Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitored alarm

Options
  • 22-01-2023 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I have three rifles and a shotgun none restricted and getting a .22 pistol now, I joined the range and went in for a chat with the FO who said I needed a monitored alarm, I have a bank safe downstairs and a gun safe upstairs, electric gates and a house alarm I do not want to question there decision to get a monitored alarm, but do I have to by law considering the commissioner guidelines say different

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

technically no, it’s not required., However AGS can stipulate any standard that they want but as such they’d have to justify it..

That fact that you have a sidearm in you collection might be their main concern..

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/307/made/en/print

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Fabarm12345

Yes that might be the deciding factor best get an monitored alarm so but which one

thanks for all messages received

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The commissioner’s guidelines are just that, guidelines. AGS are entitled to insist on more onerous security measures when it come to firearms. What you have described is not that unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The FO doesn't get to determine if you need a monitored alarm though.

You could show the FO the Safe Storage S.I. (307 of 2009) and ask for the requirement to have a monitored alarm in writing from the Superintendent as this is in excess of the minimum standards. The Super is perfectly entitled to ask you to have increased security but I wouldn't be taking the FO's word on it. It could well be a case of the FO making up stuff themselves or misinterpreting the safe storage requirements.

Or you could just get a monitored alarm. I'd recommend anybody who has guns to have a monitored alarm.

I think I will take your advice and be done with it and just get a monitored alarm

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Is it a requirement to get a monitored alarm if you go over 5 firearms or a certain number if restricted of firearms?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

But who offers the cheapest system and who offers the best value with a good service..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

I suppose ringing around is the only option there,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

These guys were the cheapest for the monitoring end of things when I last checked.............about 4 years ago.

They didn't install the alarm, they just took care of the monitoring. The alarm was installed by the previous owner of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭pm.

Altor security, I'm with them and pay about 250 a year to be monitored

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭freddieot

Does the 250 include a maintenance contract ?

Homesecure free installation 6 days left sale

35 euro per month

sounds like a good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭pm.

Yeah sure does, he he actually on Boards , look at the 3rd post

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058042388/hkc-securecomm-yearly-subscription-fee#latest

What’s their regular price. I’m only seeing this now! Too late to arrange all..

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭SVI40

I second this, I've been with Jason for the past few years, and his service is excellent. Just yesterday, he was out and had a faulty sensor replaced within an hour of me calling him.

Advertisement