Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grace period for annual tb testing

Options
  • 22-01-2023 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

the cattle are due for tb testing on my dads farm this month. But hes quite sick and unable to farm now. I keep things ticking over at weekends but struggling to arrange testing in the next weeks.

is there any penalties for late testing? He is not selling any this year so no issue there.

thanks,

james

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Don’t worry too much about it, those letters are sent out by a computer two weeks after your supposed to have it done telling you to do it within the next two weeks. Your herd will probably be restricted. There are farmers who are months late with with their tests with no good reason, a few weeks late is no big deal, there’s far worse stuff going on.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The dept. will haunt you once the 12 months is up with letters and they will lock up the herd and stress you out .I would try my best to get it done to be honest ,arrange with vet in advance by 2/ 3 weeks and he will fit you in with a time to suit you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The herd will be automatically restricted meaning that you cannot sell or buy in cattle but you can go directly to a factory with any. Is there any neighbours that you could call upon to give you help or the Veterinary practice maybe able to suggest a person who could help/present the cattle for testing/reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Okay - will take a few days off work and do it in the coming weeks. It was due on the 14th of january so already more than a week behind. Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

One day (assuming you are Monday to Friday) and off Saturday. Even a half day if the vet can tell you I will be on at 2 on Wednesday and then read on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Assuming cattle are all in and not outwintered etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

A computer will send out one letter two weeks after the due date telling him to do the test within another two weeks, it’s not a big deal, he hasn’t murdered anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ring the department and explain your circumstances, that you will do it, just will have to organise things

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

As mentioned above try and arrange a time that suits as best as possible. Can be read or tested Sat if vet obliges. Prob best to have it done anyway as if ill health is there and time pressures come on sometimes the easiest thing to do would be sell some stock.

Department have experience with most circumstances so contact them as Whelan said as well

Was just thinking if you ring the department, you'll be asked have you authority to deal with the herd number. If possible if your dad could be there and give his authority to you if not already done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

As said above, give them a ring & explain the situation. There will be no problem delaying it a month or more if needed be in the circumstances.

Don't be concerning over it anyways, herd will be restricted as is the norm & you can't sell or buy, only to slaughter house.

Way to many folk worrying needlessly nowadays over regulations e.t.c. which are unimportant when compared to people's health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Ring the department and have a chat with them. You were allowed defer a test for 6 weeks but I think that is now extended to 3 months (but that might only be from the 1st of February) under the new changes that are coming in on the 1st of Feb. Your herd will be restricted from selling animals in the Mart from the due date of the test, but you say that isn't an issue so that's ok. Ring the department and talk to them, they are generally very understanding when personal issues arise & do try to help if they can.

I recall meeting a lady called Margaret in the department after my dad passed away. She brought me into a back office and couldn't do enough to help me. I was kind of afraid going in but she was brilliant & really went out of her way to be off assistance. I thanked her for her help, she said sure we are dealing with farmers every day sure we know the story.. made me laugh cause I know sometimes us farmers don't have a good opinion of the department. But I would guess its more the organisation as a whole rather than the staff in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

If on Agfood you can nominate 2 (I think) people to handle your affairs on your behalf, with the department.

I presume you can do same with written letter

GDPR changed a lot of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Mr..

If possible test on a saturday as you have the full day off and read on tuesday, testing takes longer than reading usually.

When I did it for my dad, my dad was beside me and he just told the girl he gave his permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Depends on the number of cattle you have. If you have a small number you could be longer waiting on the vet than testing.

The vet may also only read on Saturday, they might not test as testing takes longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

I don’t understand this line. Your herd will be restricted …from the due date of the test …. Does that mean that the herd is restricted from the day the test expires? Without any further correspondence from Dept ? Does this only come in from Feb 1st ?

@GNWoodd , sorry, I ment that if say your test was due the 20th February and you decided to push your test out 3 months to the 20th May. Your herd will be restricted from the 21st of February (can't sell cattle in a mart) until you test.

I had occasion to talk with the Dept when my father was very ill with cancer. To be fair to them they were very understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Bumping this with a somewhat similar query. If you have no cattle at the time of your test i presume you just inform the department of this, but has this any knock on effect such as your herd number might then be inactive due to not having a test in a year

@k mac yes, you just inform them you have no animals to test. Think you have to sign a form stating the same. Then when you wish to purchase animals you have to inform them before you buy. Once you purchase animals you will be required to test them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Thanks. I have a few for selling that are in test but as test is due in a months time if i sell before will have no cattle to then test. Think i will wait and get them tested hope the price doesn't drop much in a few weeks, save the hassle of having to arrange test when i buy in again.

Advertisement