Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai using illegal private cameras as evidence?

• 22-01-2023 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

There was a violent burlary near me recently. The Gards think they know who it is but can't prove it. There is a house a few doors down with 2 cameras on the covering the footpath (illegal as far as I understand if not my point is mute). Let's say those illegal cameras catch these guys walking past can the Gards still use the footage from those cameras in court?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

It's not illegal to record a public place once the relevant legislation is complied with.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭BagofWeed

A Czech who was being subjected to racist abuse in Clonmel circa 2005 got a recorder and put footage of a well known scumbag breaking his windows onto a dvd and brought it to the station and what did they do ? Nothing absolutely nothing ! In fact they told him to go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A court might also weigh the probative value of any illegally-obtained evidence against the severity of the illegality.

The court would be likely to allow a video in a murder case that they might not in a simple littering case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

In general they don't use it as primary evidence but just to give them a lead

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭con___manx1

They used recording device's to catch gerry hutch. Put them in his van and they got crucial evidence from them. Cant see how cameras would b any different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Does that mean anybody can put cctv cameras outside their house on a public footpath so? Not that it bothers me I was just curious that house probably put the cameras there as a deterant as there was annoying kids hanging around being noisy, drunk etc. I just always thought your home cameras could only cover your own property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cheers. As I said doesn't bother me. Bored and curious on a wet Sunday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think you get a reduction in your home insurance for having them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Can the op please show this new legislation that has suddenly made recording a public place illegal?

Why oh why do people blab "illegal" on anything and everything when they haven't a bloody clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

As a photographer I find it amazing that people thing that public photography is illegal. Let alone photography taken from ones private residence on to a public space. Imagine if I take some video footage on my phone from my front room of someone stealing a neighbours car and the thieves solicitor say's it's illegal!

Laughable stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I agree. I can't grasp how people think this. Have these people never watched the news, that on a daily bases has footage of interviews, sports events, public places all with members of the public in the background.

I've people coming up photographers (or people just taking pictures) demanding asking to see their photos claiming they are illegal. I'll gladly accommodate people's wishes when I'm taking photos for work, but as soon as they have an aggressive attitude or make false claims, its walkaway time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

The footage is likely to be of evidential value in the situation you describe, and it would quite possibly be used in evidence.

There is nothing particularly ‘illegal’ about cameras on a domestic house filming the street outside. There are potentially data protection issues, and for this reason the data protection commissioner advises against CCTV cameras on a domestic property recording public areas. But that is a separate matter entirely, and in practical terms is rather minor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

There is somewhat of a difference between an interview on the street, or someone taking photos in a public place and having 24HR CCTV in the same area.

There are data protection considerations surrounding the need for and proportionality of such CCTV recording. There are also practical issues for the operator in so far as they become a data controller and are responsible for managing Data Subject Access Requests from members of the public and will have other responsibilities under the data protection acts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, I was on my way to an event in a park (working) and walked by a kids match with a camera and was told by an over zealous parent not to dare take photos of the kids!!!

Lads it's the OP here. Look I haven't slept in 2 weeks my brain is operating at about 50% I think my confusion came from reading here a while back someone's neighbour installed cameras which covered part of their house and asking if that was legal and somehow I had it in my head the post was about public land. My mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

If you put cameras on your house and say its a PTZ movable camera. If a part of that when panning happens to look into your neighbours back garden, it should be blacked off on the software.

When it comes to actually recording a public road incidentally there is no issue.

I say this from working in the industry where we engage CCTV companies every day to install cameras for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I gave a statement a while back after witnessing an incident and the first thing the garda said who attended the scene was he's check if any of the nearby houses had CCTV.

If the garda had found CCTV evidence to get the guy in a line up then I could have identified him and the CCTV wouldn't have been needed in court - no CCTV and another unsolved crime.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

This would mainly related to GDPR and other data protection legislation.

While not s hard rule, if the illegal act (with respect to the evidence) is done by AGS, the evidence would generally be excluded, but if the Gardaí obtain evidence while any potential ilegal act was a third party (house holder CCTV for example) the evidence is not automatically excluded. That would depend on how 'rich' the defendant is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Legally, where’s the difference. If somebody records 8hours of footage, where the public are the subject. They do this daily fir a job. Vrs a 24h cctv camera of a building that might picks up a partial views of the public indirectly?

If anything the former is a bigger cache of personal data. GDPR applies to both.

There are data protection considerations surrounding the need for and proportionality of such CCTV recording. There are also practical issues for the operator in so far as they become a data controller and are responsible for managing Data Subject Access Requests from members of the public and will have other responsibilities under the data protection acts.

GDPR is constantly misapplied. You have to comply with GDPR. That doesn’t mean that GDPR makes the examples given illegal - as is constantly claimed.

Advertisement