Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"The Ark". New Sci-Fi show by SyFy out on Feb 1st

• 22-01-2023 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Could be interesting,

Anyone going to watch it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This was pretty decent.

The acting was a bit amateurish in places though! Comes across as a bit YA in parts too.

Special effects were pretty good for a SyFy show.

Good enough show to make me want to watch more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Where did you watch it?

I have not found it anywhere.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

If you download TV, you'll find it in those places. Can't give any more details than that because it's against the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks errr a bit crap...plus Ryan Adams in the cast bizarrely.....not for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: I .. eh .. this was weak in many places. The budget seems low.

Much of cast feel very inexperienced and the writing for many of the characters feels a bit too impersonal.

Overall they've got a big ship. A start and an endpoint goal. They could make something of it.

The story writers seem to have thought out a few different lines to follow and have thrown up plenty of problems to solve.

If I was to guess..

the ship problem was something to do with either:

-Earth influences

-maybe the ship has been drifting for ages since noone has computers screen reading skills

-ithe senior officers waking up first and blasting something in the ship for some reason

- another ship or space rock hitting them

Top performer I thought, in this episode at least, was Tiana Upcheva as Eva the head of maintenance.

There was also a scene outside the ship where the special effects seemed to be better than most of the rest.

Future: Well.. I sure hope they didn't blow the budget on episode one!

Oh.. the one thing I kept thinking about the ship was that it looked like it had bolted on the the front of Klingon bird of prey to it and painted it grey 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Oh god this is shocking bad but yet I'll probably watch the second ep.

We really are short decent sci fi at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It's always very disappointing to see another badly written and cheap Scifi show. The acting was so bad you wouldnt see it on a CW show, and weirdly so many bad american accents. Will still watch episode 2, just because its so bad its funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It reminded me of Avenue 5 without the comedy and without any memorable characters. I'll try another episode just in case. 😂

Based on episode 1 though:

If anyone does manage to get through all of the episodes, I hope for their sake it doesn't end with a cliff-hanger, because I somehow don't think there will be a second series. SciFi has cancelled better things than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I got as far as Angry Girl saying "Where's the captain????!!!"

Nope

Ms

Well I found it just have to watch it now :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

half way through this I was hoping the oxygen problem would actually finish off the rest of the crew

Ms

Just watched it. The CGI at the beginning was awful some of it looked more like it was out of a cartoon and there was certainly some parts that were so bad they were funny but as it went on it seemed to get better. It could improve and be very good. I think it might have been better as a Cartoon do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

2: What even is this show?! 😁 At some points, I was like.. this ain't so bad. Then a dude does a flying summersault mid..

space suit walk while looking down at his hand that is burning with frostbite and spacesuit is burning off .. and lands easy "coming in hot" into the airlock! hah 😂

Right.. anyway.. the main story.. seems cut and dry that the military guy was the killer now. Unless the farm guy told him about the knife or something.. or maybe it'll be a lesson about how news travels fast in a small crew

Ms

Just finished watching episode two. Again some of it was terrible and some of it was good.

I will watch episode 3 because I want to know how they solve both their problems now as two ended on a cliffhanger kinda.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Let's give the nerd a big pair of black spectacles, or no one will know that she's a nerd, and have her talking nineteen to the dozen each time she opens her mouth. The highlight was her being told to shut up.

They are copying the plot of stargate universe with no iota of intelligence. Im enjoying how bad it is.

I had it on in the background yesterday while I was working. Harmless show, I'm watching for the story more than the acting.

Ms

Awe now that's harsh. Your one did explain to your man who took over the sewage disposal what is in urine. How true or right or not I do not know or what to know it was TMI.

I think the right thing would have been for her to be training him at least untill he had some idea what he was doing.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I have not watched this but I assume the "plain" bespectacled nerd is unfeasibly attractive if only it wasn't for those damn hideous glasses

She definitely doesn't look like Nanny McPhee. 😛

• Advertisement

What a strange show. The CGI of the outside of the ship looks worse than the CGI in Babylon 5. The scene with the blonde therapist, with the crying engineer was also weird on so many levels.

I want to stop watching this as let's be honest it makes Dark Matter or Killjoys look like sci-fi masterpieces but for some reason I keep watching.

Ms

Dark Matter was a Sci-Fi masterpiece do. I miss that show.

As for "The Ark" I actually think this third episode was really good. They was a lot happening and nothing stupid in it. I suppose the shuttle shoukd have had a systems check but that's about it.

They eventually all worked together and solved all there problems. I woukd happily watch that third episode all over again. I enjoyed it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭somuj

10 minutes in to episode 1.

This is so bad that I want to keep watching.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Episode 4 spoiler:

Instead of all that shíting about with not telling them she is a clone, why didn't she just say it was her twin sister in the video. It's technically true and she has proof she was nowhere near that area at the time.

Ms

Really good episode. I enjoyed that. Actually despite some bad acting and terrible CGI in the first episode I am genuinely enjoying this show.

I think the character development in the show has been quiet good too despite it only been 4 episodes in we know the Councillor was caught in a solar flare storm that left her scared on her head and she wears wigs to look as beautiful as she does.

We know that the Acting Captain had a twin sister that went a bit awol and that she is a

Clone.

We know one of the characters is gay big deal not and that what's his name fancies the Acting Captain.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

This is turning into a decent little show. Episode 4 was great.

Ms

Just watched episode 5. Not the greatest episode but there was some good bits like Alicia or whatever her name is and your man finding a solution for the glove goo no spoilers and that ending was just overdone.

Episodes 3 and 4 were much better do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

"I haven't seen that fella in this programme before, I wonder what's going to happen to him?"

"Uh oh.😜"

3: Hold on.. is it because I'm behind or maybe I'm getting used to the show but this one was a bit better than I remember the rest!

Something I'm not sure I've seen much of before that I really liked was..

the shuttle landing gear having a claw/grasping mechanism. That was cool!

Also the performances of the everyone else didn't seem miles behind Tiana Upcheva as Eva from maintenance.

I liked the whole going for it and taking on the comet for water. It seemed so hard. The story, I think, was well crafted to pull the audience in there.

Funniest moment had to be Brice going mad, Scottish accent in full volume, and kicking the shuttle control systems 😁

Think I was getting more and more worried about the doctor and then a big 'oh no' 😲 when she took the stims. Vague recollections of the BSG stims storylines hit me.

I think it is getting slightly better with every episode in terms of acting and writing but the sets still look terribel. i actually enjoyed the latest episode 5 more than the latest Picard, it has a sense of stupid fun. The therapist and head of security are especially goofy and useless, but i cant stop watching

4: Okay, Okay, O.. K..! 🙂 That was good. Felt like solid science fiction, problem, team, mystery, development episode.

I liked that..

at first it could've been cabin fever but then later was a molecule from the comet water.

I had started guessing Garnet was a cyborg/android or a clone but was leaning away from clone because of her strength and fighting skills. Would like to see that more explained.

Finishing off with MAYBE ALIENS!!! 😲 .. that I also liked.

So, if they stay consistent in their feel of the show and writing, I think could turn out a keeper show 🙂

5: Ooooooh. I mean.. it doesn't seem a big thing at the moment but maybe further down the line.

Earth looks proper wiped out in the flashback scenes. Giant storms where there wasn't what looked like just giant smoke clouds or just plain old America on fire.

Guessing Alicia is gonna be broken up now for a while

I did like that they setup her tablet takeover earlier on. How they showed it on screen and I didn't spot it.

Ms

Another good episode with some good crew relationships forming now.

I feel sorrow for the Doctor and its good the he has offered to help her but the actor playing her is just not that good. Her first real big moment and she is more like Beverley Crusher than a McCoy or a Basher.

Or to use another apology she is more like a Robert Beltran than a Patrick Stewart or Brent Spinner.

That was brilliant. ALICIAMINIUM lol.

Very interesting ending.

Looking forward to the next episode already.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

6: What?!?!? No you can't end the episode like that!!!

Dammit!

Alright, fairs fair.. they pulled me into that one.

It was pretty decent even without the ending. I liked..

How Eva and Brice seemed to be bonding a bit. Though, Brice seems be be a bit weird at times even more than the death wise stuff.. I dunno.. maybe it's just down to this disease.

Also the security guy has been doing a solid performance right since the start of the show. He's kept it consistent and I like how himself and the Doctor worked things out here.

I was a bit iffy on the solar sail and sun space walk because the Sunshine movie made going outside and just burning to a crisp so vivid. I dunno. Even the star seemed small compared to the ship.

Garnet pulled a solid leadership/self sacrifice story for herself though.

As for the bigger story.. now maybe looking like this famous creator dude.. thinking either he knew the Earth was dying faster so got out sooner or maybe he's a bit of a baddie and had some involvement with this acid stuff.

lol Aliciaminium.. her reaction to the name was hilarious! 😁

Is this the same show as episode 1?

So much better now than its clunky start. Episode 7 was brilliant.

Without a doubt it's improving week on week I actually looks forward to it

Good ep this week poor Felix and good ending as.well will be interesting to see where it goes from here

Ms

That was a brilliant episode. This show really has come on leaps and bounds. I have enjoyed it from the beginning but really am loving it now.

As for Ark 15. I would say there is escaped renegade crinimals and prisoners on it who want to get to the new planet all for themselves and wanted to stop all the other arks gone before them from getting there. They did not factor in the determination of does on Ark 1 do.

Next week's episode should be interesting in a slightly different way.

Have to feel sorry for poor Felix with all his loses.

Earth really did sound like hell.

Can't blame anyone for wanting to get away from that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

7: Mystery INTENSIFIES! 🙂 This is getting pretty good storywise. A lot of unanswered questions now.

Obviously they original lack of supplies issues and slow space journey might now be sorted... but..

There's the mystery around what happened on Earth. Maybe the people there sorted themselves out and went out for revenge for the original ark creators abandoning them. Or maybe they didn't sort themselves out and still went out for revenge.

Then there's the questions of what happened to this Trust guy... doesn't look like he went willingly.. plus also who is the woman with him.

Think the standout this episode though had to be the security guy. He's been consistent from the start and this episode built his story up well.

Also some kinda Worf from Star Trek vibes now with the Sword.. Kitana is it?

• Advertisement
    Ms

There's the mystery around what happened on Earth. Maybe the people there sorted themselves out and went out for revenge for the original ark creators abandoning them. Or maybe they didn't sort themselves out and still went out for revenge.

I doubt it. After all the Woman found alive on the ship explains what sounds like hell on Earth.

I would say it's some rogue crinimals that took control of Ark 15 and that's why it has weapons too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Why do I get the feeling that it's gonna be Trust versus Maddox and that's why he's on the Ark

I dunno. I got the feeling the situation she was talking about was..

less that 15 Ark ships. I'm not sure, the maths on the number of Arks was hard to follow and I'm not sure how trustworthy she is.

This 15th one seems special somehow.

Still though. I wouldn't discount the criminals idea but also would be open to other ideas on it too

I thought the survivor was pretty dodgy in the epusode, she seemed to only recall critical facts when it suited her.

Ms

Another excellent episode. Some good humour in it at times too and some silly mistakes from command as well. Let's just if I was Sharon I would not have done that.

As for the FTL woo how that was cool but crazy.

It's all getting a bit edgy now.

Also what was that that flew buy the Ark near the end? Was that Ark 15 I wonder?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

That whole FTL scene was stupid and didn't make any sense. Why would it malfunctioning cause them to jump forwards and backwards in time like that. My only guess is there idea is that travelling faster than light speed causes weird time dilation effects but that isn't how time dilation works and also the whole point of this drive is that they aren't actually travelling faster than the speed of light.

This actually has the potential to be a decent show but a lot of the science-ey stuff (even the basic stuff) they mess up and all the stupid tropes they keep falling into. The acting has come a long way since the first episode so hopefully they can improve these aspects as well and we could have a great show on our hands. I don't even care if the CGI is rubbish, sure I would rather it was better but poor CGI doesn't detract from a show as much as other things do.

I think I know the scene you are on about but I don't remember seeing anything specific fly by. Something does streak by but I don't think it is meant to be anything. Even if it was I doubt it would be Ark 15. It attacked Ark 3 at least a few days before hand and probably has a faster FTL drive than Ark 3 seeing as it was able to catch up to it so surely it should be way ahead of where Ark 1 with an FTL drive could be.

Ms

Yes that is the scene I am on about. Maybe when they used the FTL they went further than they thought they would but they never said so more than likely then ended up behind. I would have had them going too far and having to turn around to find Proxima B. Maybe it was just a comet or something.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yeah I think it was just a comet or something like that. Just random space stuff. If it was meant to be something like another ark then I think they would have made it more obvious and have a cliff hanger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement