Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League 2023

1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,126 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Open draw is the only and fairest way for the All Ireland series. Far too many hard games in Ulster and easy games in Leinster and Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Some counties have never won their provinces so if they were bordering other provinces they'd hardly want to move. It's good to still dream big about winning your province!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

That's fair enough if they don't want to move. The offer should be on the table though. It's not unusual in world sport to participate in a different region and is already happening in hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,301 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The "table" being Congress where only a year ago there was overwhelming approval for the format this year. As an outsider, I expect that people from the structures in the clubs and counties are well informed on what they have to vote on. Better than casual observers from the outside I hope.

My own view as an outsider is that there should be home and away in the League, 14 games to decide the best team in the country. But I know there is as much chance of that happening, as Donegal or Fermanagh agreeing to play in Connacht.

"A whopping 94.7 per cent of delegates voted in support of the motion at the GAA Congress, which will drastically change the format of the All-Ireland Football Championship."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Seedings need looking at (as mentioned by Canavan) above.

The Connacht draw means that two of Roscommon, Galway, and Mayo will be third seeds, or at least that's how I understand it. The top 3 teams in the League, League Winners and AI Finalists 2022. The relative strength of Connacht along with the biased draw (partially caused by the inclusion of London and NY) is working against these sides. Waddle through Leinster into a final by beating the likes of Carlow or Longford or Munster playing D3 and 4 teams seems attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,301 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Connacht championship appears to be on a rolling schedule which pits all of the home teams against London and New York in different years. The last time that it was New York v Leitrim and London v Sligo was 2018. I see that Leitrim only won after extra time, by one point. There was no need to worry then about complications with round robins or the Tailteann.

I have to think that all the delegates from the Connacht counties were aware of this when they voted on the new system. And other counties like Meath, who could find themselves in the Tailteann this year, because a "weak" Connacht team will be in the Sam.

Wikipedia

COVID-19 caused the following games to be cancelled in 2020: Galway's games against both New York and Sligo, Roscommon's game against London, and in 2021: Mayo playing London and Roscommon playing New York meant that 2021 was a fresh draw.

In 2023, Sligo vs London, Leitrim vs New York. In 2024, Galway vs London, Mayo vs New York. In 2025, Roscommon vs London, Galway vs New York. In 2026, Mayo vs London, Roscommon vs New York. In 2027, Sligo vs New York, while London scheduled to host Leitrim like in 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Likewise two of Tyrone, Derry and Monaghan will end up as third seeds, quite a bit stronger than the likely provincial losers other than perhaps Ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Advertisement