Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League 2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭supernova5

will just have to sincerely hope that more than 2 teams finish on 4 points in this case as points difference may then swing it in Clare's favour, otherwise that clusterF^^k in the last 5 minutes against Kildare will prove fatal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

How does that not be given as a black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Some referring performance by Hurson!!!!

Long time sending him off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Poor discipline from the Dubs lost them the game.

He rode one team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not great to lose the one game that was really a test for the Dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I don't know if I was watching the same game as the RTE crew because I thought Glass was completely anonymous

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Fitzsimons should have been black carded with 10 minutes to go. Should have gotten a second yellow 6 or 7 minutes later before finally pushing his luck too far in injury time. The indirect free kick given to Derry was a blatant foul by Dublin. Some other very odd decisions given Dublin's way (as well as Derry's) so to say he rode Dublin is not accurate at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭PressRun

Derry got a lot of soft ones that game but that's sometimes how it goes. It's called "home advantage" for a reason and ref decisions can come into play there.

Dublin looked a little more up for it tonight though and I'd be very interested in a rematch between these two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Blatant? If you’re calling that incident blatant it’s just not plausible.

as a neutral, Dublin got fairly rode, the ref was a key factor in the outcome of the game

Not sure about that foul but the black was blatant and if given was a crucial part of the game. Dublin I thought were due a few more frees. Hurson has a habit of not giving frees to lads driving through when deserved. Basquel I thought should of got a couple of frees when hands were all over him.

You are picking one man. If you can’t see that Hurson reffed both team’s in a different manner then that’s your issue not anyone else’s. Fitz walked as he should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s very accurate, with the extra phantom added on time that enabled Derry get the winning score . High tackles and endemic fouls from Derry but not very keen to blow for a free never mind card them… seem to give them every chance to foul Dublin and only when it was beyond obvious, award the Dubs a free.. he rode Dublin, consistently….. the extra minute plus of added on time which there was no tangible justification for was just an absolute derogation of responsibility and judgement as a supposed impartial and credible referee. He was anything and everything but.

Above all things else, retain integrity, consistency and uniformity”… is according to the GAA, one of the published basic set of requirements for a referee…. Then there was this absolute clown show.

Jeez you love a good whinge when Dublin lose.

Irony being Dublin had their fair share of favourable referee decisions over the years.

Besides, all will be forgotten come championship.

I’m not from Dublin but the decisions made deserve to be called out. I like to think I’m fair about referees and I wouldn’t say it was a total riding but it was a bit noticeable how easy Derry were getting calls

And you are probably right, it will be soon forgotten as the league always is when the real stuff starts

You don’t understand how the added time works.

When it appears on the board - say 4mins, this is always the minimum time to play.

Extra will added on that above to account for subs, sending offs and deliberate time wasting by either team.

Derry definitely got plenty of soft ones, as tends to be the case in home games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm not from Dublin either and thought it very noticeable that the ref was not treating both sides the same, particularly with regards to tackling. It should have been an enjoyable close game for neutrals but to be honest the ref ruined it for me, it just got my back up seeing him hold one side to a completely different standard than the other was.

Considering how they used Michael Murphy in the last few years, its mad to see Donegal pump long into the full forward line. He'd surely thrive with that approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yes, agree. Minimum 4 minutes.

Derry were going to break clear except for Fitzsimon’s foul (and subsequent red) so I felt they deserved the chance to continue

No, I do understand. 🤷‍♂️ There has to be a tangible, accurate, fair, and appropriate reason to add additional time. Not for shîts and giggles or because it suits a referees whim or their possible desire to give a team a ‘dig out’.. He’s receiving enough criticism in this thread and elsewhere online from multiple sources after that.

id say quite obviously the lack of understanding is on your part sadly. 🙂

Discussing the more controversial aspects of a result is whinging ? It will be forgotten but today it’s fair game for discussion, given the game isn’t long over ;)

If beaten by the better team and in a fair manner, no complaints.

It’s completely unusual for GAA fans to complain about referees. It happens once in a blue moon to be fair.

Lol.

No one else is whinging about the added time but YOU!

Would you be complaining if there was enough time allowed for Dublin to score an equaliser? Would you fcuk.

Another ref completely influenced and swayed by the home ground tonight in the Athletic Grounds. Not saying Donegal deserved to win, cos they didn't, but that ref gave Donegal nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

That was an absolute definition of a home ground ref, he was shocking

• Advertisement

Armagh beat a very ‘physical’ Donegal… I didn’t see the replay but more tomfoolery from the ref there on first watch…looked like nailed on peno for Armagh, whistle gets blown and a free is awarded about 14 meters from goal.

Advertisement