Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Towing homemade trailer

• 22-01-2023 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a used 8 x 4 trailer that I could tow behind my car on B license.

Anything new and plated is north of 2 grand nowdays, but I have seen plenty nice homemade trailers below a grand.

RSA website states that all trailers sold after 2012 must be plated, but can you tow one without manufacturers plate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Yes you can. Whether you can do so legally is another matter however.

That being said, I can't remember the last time I saw anyone with a trailer get pulled over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Keep to the speed limit, don’t overload it, keep the lights and tyres and good condition, pull in if you’ve a line of traffic built up behind you.

As long as you’re not acting the d€&k you’ll be fine.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Alkers

I think that means for trailers sold new since 2012. You can buy a (pre-2012) trailer off someone second hand and it doesn't need to be plated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It's about type approval which is obligatory for trailers manufacturerd from 2013.

Anything older than that, doesn't need type approval AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

If it was manufactured before the cutoff date then you should be ok. B&Q, halfords etc have tiny DIY assemble trailers new.

These can be handy as they weigh little, and you can possibly store on their side out if the way. Be careful as they are easily overloaded with soil or blocks etc.

If buying used try get something played, and light with modern car wheels not tiny trailer wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I know a few people with home made trailers... They all claim that they were build pre 2012...

I guess there's no way to know when they were built, and just take them at their word.

I've one that was built in the 90s , metal frame with timber panels, since been upgraded with metal panels , and other bits over the years.. bit by bit.

A bit like trigger and his brush .

(fools&horses ... YouTube it if you don't get the reference)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭POBox19

You may need category BE on your Licence in order to tow a trailer over 750kg. Also, make sure that you know the weight of your tow and the car's maximum ratings for braked and unbraked loads.

Edit correction. Thanks AlanG & blackbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭AlanG

you dont need BE - BE only if it is above 750kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

Not correct.

You can tow a small trailer on a B licence.

From NDLS...

B.Vehicles (other than motorcycles, mopeds, work vehicles or land tractors) having a MAM1 not exceeding 3,500 kg. having passenger accommodation for not more than 8 persons and where the MAM1 of the trailer is not greater than 750 kg. or where the combined MAM1 of the towing vehicle and the trailer does not exceed 3,500 kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭bigroad

True and any trailer over 750kg needs it's own braking system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭bigroad

Over 750kg needs it's own braking system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 desmondmoore

Hi, I have a 10'x 5' dual torsion axle trailer. I wish to change it to a single axle spring suspension type.

The trailer is old (over 20 Years and has no identification plate.

Can I legally modify and use the trailer on the road?

Advertisement