Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Based Satinwood over water Based High Gloss

Options
  • 22-01-2023 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Does anybody know would it be OK to paint Satinwood over a fresh coat of high gloss? Both are waterbased. Partner has decided she would prefer Satinwood finish now that the High gloss has cured.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Samson1

I would expect you can, once you key the gloss with a slight rub of finest sandpaper. Experts even recommend that a quick rub of a crumpled brown paper bag would be sufficient to key it, without marking the paint.

I have painted oil based clear varnish over water based gloss to give a more durable surface on a tabletop, so can't see why water-based satinwood won't take.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I would echo what @Samson1 says above based on experience. We painted some doors last summer that were previously glossy without sanding and they now look streaky. It's clear that the satinwood didn't bind as well or as evenly as it should have. Sanding would have given better grip and a smoother coating.

I absolutely hate painting so mine will have to stay like that for another year or two before i redo the job properly!

For your viewing pleasure..my advice stick with the glossy!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I'd say be careful. We got our varnished pine painted satinwood by a professional painter. It was not a cheap job and took nearly two weeks. It started flaking less than a year later and broke our heart. Far better to avoid the issue!

in our current house we had the same issue - all varnished pine. I decided that I'd tackle it myself, rather than risk the same problem. I lightly sanded everything, a right PITA. I then used a shellac primer from Colourtrend, for maximum adhesion, before using a Colourtrend Matt paint. The paint was expensive but so far it's rock solid.

Others swear by the BIN Shellac primer which is cheaper, especially from Screwfix. Botn primers are the consistency of milk and set very quickly. I used a roller for doors and a very high quality paint brush for everything else. The paint shop said that sanding was not necessary with the Colourtrend primer and I've been told the same about the BIN one. I had time to do the sanding and I decided not to take a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Shouldn't be a problem, if the gloss is fresh the Satinwood will adhere to it well.

Advertisement