Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kemmitt surname

• 22-01-2023 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

I'm trying to find out information on a fairly rare surname called Kemmitt. Some variants of the name are Kemmett, Kemmitt, Kemmit, Kimet, Kemmet, Kimmit, Kimit

The surname and its variant are mainly found in Co. Sligo but mainly in a few parishes. I've attached some maps from barrygriffin.com wonderful website to show their locations below.

Sadly there aren't any Kemmitts left in the area that I know of but I'm interested in the name because it was my great grandmother's name. All the Kemmitts in Sligo were Catholic so I'm wondering what would their origin be? I can't find an Irish version of the name either. But I doesn't really sound very Irish either? Any help I'd be grateful

Comments

Advertisement