Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grazing 2023

124»

Comments

Land is getting really soft now and cattle are unsettled. With the outlook bad won’t be long till cattle are housed. About 3 weeks earlier than last year. Think about mid October things got very wet and fields left ungrazed. Been a tough year but great grass growth in general I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Don't lose hope yet, we often get a spell of good weather in October and we are definitely due it this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

If any of ye beef/dairy lads didn't get the graze offs ye wanted before housing don't forget about us helpful sheep farmers 😅😅.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Your sheep wouldn't get used to the sky being above them, instead of off to the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have stock moved to sheltered ground, one small group of culls in out of the way. Hopefully 2moros wind and rain will move thru fast enough and no damage. Unless we get an exceptional Oct a share of ground is now closed realistically till next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Used to being on the side of hill I think he means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I agree that October can be good.....i cut the finest of grass for silage during a fine spell in October 2 years ago......

I also remember the October of 2016 or maybe 2017.... there was nearly a drought in October...there was lads looking for rain!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I have a sneaking suspicion we will get a dry October. Pressure is building. Looking at the rainfall charts for the most local weather stations rainfall is at least 15-25% above the long term averages and has been over the monthly averages since February. It makes horrific viewing when looking at the hydrological year ( October to October). Below are the graphs for Shannon, gurteen and athenry

On the grazing front there is serious wedge of grass here as all ground is in play. Conditions are tricky but its a matter of using the tools in the toolbox to keep cattle out. Strip wires, 24hr breaks and even the odd 12 hr break in heavy rain, back fences, picking the drier ground in times of heavy rain, heading to lighter covers in the heavy rain, splitting some of the bigger bunches. These are things that I'm at, while it may not always work, there will be bits of damage done, it's trying to minimise it. If I can keep most stock out for the most of October I'll be doing well. Some ground is closed for the winter, but usually it a around now that I start closing. It's the ground that beats me first, not the lack of grass

Being partime, heavy soil and beef, every day out is a bonus to the profit line. But its a balance act as when the clocks change it just harder to get out to fields in the evenings. It's my natural housing time and this give a chance to have grass for the spring to get out early if possible.

Post edited by mr.stonewall on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Sounds exactly like me. Loads of grass, heavy ground and dark evenings from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Ground is very warm despite the rain. Its holding up very well here. Grass everywhere.

His photos is sideways so the sky is to the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Great advice there ,cutious what paty of the country are you and is it just your ground takes longer to dry out heavy ground [like my own]from now on or is it rushy type heavy land

Based in the mid west at about 160metres Asl. All the south west rain from limerick hits me as it on the upward slope it just dumps it on me. Heavy gley soil (Marl) with a cover of clay Let's just say the tractor has been banished from most places since the dry spell broke, from most ground for the rest of the year. Small pockets to good ground, load of ground that would grow rushes within a year if left alone. It's slow to dry out and loves the drought. Still have a small bit of red clover silage to cut. It was sown in mid June, a light cut in mid August.

It's all about being flexible at the shoulders. Cattles' demand for water on wet day like tomorrow will be negligible, so I will move 2 groups to the back of a paddock to start grazing in the morning. They will get to a water trough tomorrow evening or Thursday morning, depending on ground conditions, graze out and weather. But defo water within 24hrs. This can be handy to get access to clean an area out. Another is making the best use of roadways if you have them. For example I have bullocks on silage ground grazing and 1 single water trough serves 15 acres. It's on a roadway going through 2 fields. By having a heap of gaps and handles, the whole thing can be split into 10-12 paddocks with strip wires and cattle access water via the road way. A bit of planning, small bit of thought, and loads of gaps and handles in paddocks and fields makes this time of year and spring easier to graze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Along with good power in the fencer! Seriously tho that is the way to do it, in spring as well it all counts

I have no idea why they are always sideways. Happens even since I changed phone

The fencer and fault finder are a given. Spring is easier as its lighter stock getting out to grass first. Trying to graze as much as I can is my challenge for spring as my demand is lower. Some of the heavy heavy ground might not get grazed in the spring and I just ear mark it for hay and take it out at the 1st available opportunity.

Some of these tricks I picked up from the dairy boys and they can work well. It's being willing to try it, review and tweek it. Having enough reels and pig tails is a must. Last count here in August there was about 14 reels, and most are the cheap Gallagher type 200metres. Setting up the fence for 2 breaks ahead is another handy trick when part time and you know you will be tight on time say the next day as if you are under pressure its quick to move them. I keep threatening to get a gsm or wifi switch for this time of year

2 mains fencers. Farm is spilt by a road. One at the house in the garage and one in the farmyard at the other side. Both cheetahs an m65 which is as old as the hills 30yrs plus and the big feck off cheetah at the larger portion. Both have at least 8 earth bars. The key to good current is simple. Maintenance, keep checking the strength, being able to cut power to blocks with no cattle, fix any issues as you go and if you can cut behind the wire once every 2 years that helps hugely. That the fencer is only a small part, the fence is the key

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

Recommendations for the best fault finder in an electric fence? I have googled, but first hand knowledge is preferable! Thanks

Using the Gallagher one here for the past 5-6 years. Robust and will last. Had a forcefield one before that and it only lasted less than 2 years. Cheap china plastic. Worked the finest but fell apart

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭1848

Pel fault finder is good also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Never used one. Will it direct you to the fault?

Very simple. It will direct you left or right towards the fault. Really speeds up the job. Doubles as a fence tester aswell. Cost about €90 about 6 years ago at the ploughing.

Here is the forcefield one that didn't last peeing time for me. Just feel apart and was super glued and taped back together.

For me the build quality and lasting ability between the 2 are night and day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Does anyone ever use it as a fault finder? Shur the fence is in a loop around every field so the fault can be left or right of whatever point you test it! Just use it to test strength here.

Process of elimination and it reduces the time to find faults quickly. If you have say a pig tail earthing a wire it will point to the direction of the strongest issue with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

I see you have 8 earth bars.... I have only 3 on a Cheetah like yours it works fine but always open to improving. Is it advisable?

Similar to you had 2-3 on each fencer, a mate said to try it on one fencer and see the difference. Made a big difference to the crack of it, especially in the dry weather. Earth wire is looped back to the fencer. But the key is a good maintained fence, with as much weeds off it. If Changing the fencer, what ever they recommend according to acreage or length, just half it and work from there

• Advertisement

Lot of cattle going to be housed this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

The fault finder also tells you the severity of the fault as well as the direction. A very handy tool. Have had a forcefield one for a few years now and all I had to do was replace the battery in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

So bought one of these this morning at vast expense and it doesn't seem to work at all!!!!!!! Very frustrating

Check at a few points on the line in your typical herding routine. You will get the picture quickly. The top number are the Amps of current leakage and the bottom are the strength of the fence. If a wire is covered in crap it's drawing current from numerous pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I bought the one from Ali Express, €40, they are a great job.

A side note, how long after spreading lime can you graze?

Spread before the storm last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

• Advertisement

Looks like grazing here will be finished in the next day or 2 here. Serious rain to fall between now and the weekend. Going to go from 0% to 75% housed by Friday. Ground under pressure. I still have a few paddocks to graze out some with heavy covers. I might chance these with spring dairy bred calves. If not the plan is to wait for a dry spell and let out some light stock to finish these out. Grass wise it's about 10 days ahead for every beast.

Its has been one tough year on the grazing front for man and beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea absolut sick of it. Every time it just dries out enough to graze or even spread dung etc a months rain falls in a day again and brings it back to square one.

Its like 2 steps forward with drying 4 steps back with rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Cows in at night here. Heifers nearly for the shed too. Even weanling heifers could be looking for the shed soon if this weather continues.

It's never been as early here for housing with all types of stock. Have some ground still to cut a third cut on.

Looked at the situation seriously last week and then bought in silage. Been drawing it here today with the fine day where the bales were placed in a field.

A contrary second half of the year. See where some people who are measuring rainfall are saying they are nearly at their yearly average total at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Bullocks in tonight... Gonna be long winter here in South West Cork ... Every field that they were in previous are swimming so no point making pure shyte of place.

Think they better off inside as feeding in grass long gone.

Sacrificing 12 acres grass that ground underneath just too wet... It be no worse off next April than it is at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

Looks like the grazing season is going to come to an abrupt end this weekend due to all this rain despite plenty of grass still left to graze.

My question is would it be ok to put in cows and calves if they are wet or do they need to be dry going into the shed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Beggars can’t be choosers. Ideally go in dry but I’ve often put them in wet and they were fine. And try not to pack in too many into pens. Suppose it depends on the ventilation of the shed they go into.

Post edited by Dunedin on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Try to house over 3-4 days if possible so you do. It fill a poorly ventilated shed full with wet cattle. Leave doors open if possible

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Doesn't matter if wet.

Advertisement