Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash settlement from insurer for car damage?

• 23-01-2023 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

I was recently in a collision which was not my fault, no issue with liability and the other driver is putting the damage through their insurance.

My question is, can I request a cash settlement from the insurer for the damage as opposed to them paying a garage for the repairs? Or can they insist on only paying a garage directly once the repair is done?

I have already sent them in an estimate I got from a garage.

I would probably like to just take a settlement for the damage and not get it repaired as the car is very old anyway

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The estimate you got from a garage probably includes VAT. If the insurance pays you direct based solely on an estimate i.e. without a receipt showing that the repairs have been carried out, I believe they will not cover the VAT. If you don't intend to get the car repaired then you may be happy with cash in the hand but just be aware that you will not get the VAT-inclusive amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

How old is the car?

Our 2010 CRV was written off after some young lad rear ended it. An absolute pain of a situation and the low ball offers from the insurance company just added to it. I hope you have a better time but be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭FledNanders

The car is 2009

The damage is minimal really and the repair estimate is about €750 so hopefully they don't make life too difficult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭shane b

As the poster above mentioned if the repair estimate is more than the car is worth, it would be considered an uneconomic repair. Check on donedeal what the going rate for your type of car is to give you a benchmark. An assessor will probably have to come out and view the damage anyway just to verify the details.

My car got year ended a few years ago and there was about 3K worth of damage done on a car that was worth about 1500 euro. I got a choice of 1500 euro and they take the car and destroy it or 1350 euro and I keep the car. At the time 150 euro was the scrap value of the car.

At the time the car was drivable so i drove it for the few weeks till i bought another and then I brought it to a scrap dealer for destruction.

Advertisement