Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leap Cards Displaying 'product expired, please try purse'

• 23-01-2023 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Isn't it ridiculous that after buying a product on your leap card, that forever more you get this irritating notification when you pay for your fare? This causes a delay of about 3 seconds, and aside from this being awkward, it also delays transport. 

Is there anything thing the NTA could do about this? I'm guessing it would be very simple to have the TGX machines set up so that this notification would expire, say, a week after the product expires. But longer after that is ridiculous. It ultimately causes traffic congestion. And why do the NTA allow personalised 'young adult' leap cards be able to print a ticket for a second fare if the cards are not meant to be used that way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭TranslatorPS

I assume you're talking about the BE machines.

It's a problem with the way they are programmed to scan for long-term tickets first, and the fact that those tickets hang around the system for a year. They'd have to look into removing the tickets earlier, as you're saying yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Once a ticket is expired on a leap card, they should be removed from the system.

I've not had that issue with ticket machines (owing to the fact that I rarely get a BE setvice), but I got a Matthews coach once, and the expired "ticket" showed up on the leap top up home screen until my card expired.

Only a visual annoyance, but still not a great look. Or at least remove it from the home screen but keep it in the "tickets" tab under an "expired" section.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 transportrian

Happens on Go-Ahead Kildare commuter services as well, should be looked at but I assume they won't bother looking at that sort of stuff if they're planning on introducing their 'next-gen ticketing' in a year or two...hopefully. (not sure if this will even be introduced on commuter services initially either though could just be Dublin city buses).

On the YA Leap, they charge the full adult price when paying for a second!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

There is a button sequence that will give immediate access to the e-purse fares. However this needs to be done BEFORE the card is presented.

It was repeatedly pointed out to the IT department while the leap implementation was being tested that the required upgrade to telepathic drivers was necessary for this feature to be useful but to no avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

On one occasion, and only that one, a BE driver asked me if I was paying with credit before I put the card on the machine and when I said yes he did this. So the message didn't show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Electric Gypsy

Are you sure that it's a 12 months is the time limit that those tickets/products hang around the system afterwards? I was wondering if they hung around forever more!

I can't follow what you're saying... "required upgrade to telepathic drivers"? If you're serious with any of what you say, then please explain better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Think about it: How does the driver know to press that button, before the card is presented?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭TranslatorPS

If memory isn't failing me, it's definitely their validity period for activation after purchase, and I have a feeling they just hang around based on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have my (3) expired annual Dublin bus tickets visible in the leap top up app.

Currently don't have any annual/monthly tickets.

• Advertisement

The driver doesn't push any button before the leap card is presented. It's only after. If he does push a button before the card is presented, then that's probably because they're changing the origin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

A similar issue applies if you are travelling on a bus in a different area from one where you hold an active ticket.

I have a LEAP Zonal ticket for commuting on BE/GAI on services from Dublin to and within the adjacent counties.

On the odd time that I'm in a different part of the country, my boarding is slower as the driver has to clear the "Invalid City" error that pops up before he can access the purse.

C635

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, this is annoying, and slows down each transaction.

I use BE.

Is there any way for me to manually delete the old ticket from the Leap card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No there isn’t.

Advertisement