Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Control of Dogs Act, 1986

• 23-01-2023 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

In December our dog got out of the house and was detained by the dog warded, that day we collected her paid a release fee, and produced a valid license, end of the story as far as we were concerned, and the dog pound. Two weeks later we received a fine from the city council of 100e for failing to keep our dog under control. In the letter, it says we were made aware of the fine by the dog warden, not once was this mentioned to us over the phone or in person when collecting her, the dog pound said how well-behaved she was. Can the council just issue fines like this without notifying people in advance? Any info I can find seems to say they are on-the-spot fines to be issued when the offense occurs. I don't understand how we can be issued with more fines/penalties weeks later. I have questioned this with the council and they seem to be backtracking over the fact we were never told about the fine in the pound when collecting. If anyone had experience with these fines being issued after the fact without prior knowledge it would be great to know where I stood legally. I had no problem paying the release fee on the day, but getting a second penalty weeks later without being told doesn't sit right. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Two very different charges. A fine for the dog not being under control and a pound fee. The demeanour of the dog has no bearing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

From reading your post, there is no "2nd penalty weeks later".

One was a release fee to recover your dog and two weeks later you got a fine for failing to keep your dog under control.

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

The question I have is why wasn't I told about the fine on the day. Nobody said anything about a fine. If you are in breach of a law/bye-law aren't you supposed to be told when the offense happens?

No you don't have to be told at the time. Did you talk to the warden and the pound or only the pound, out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Hi, the man at the pound didn't say if he was the warden or not, said very little apart from commenting how she was very well-behaved. There wasn't any mention of a fine to be sent in the post.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Data Analyst

One is a fee, One is a fine

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

Can I ask what breed of dog you have? Unusual for wardens to take to pound unless they couldn’t find owner . Has he / she a microchip as tgat would have given warden address .

Advertisement