Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike frame protection

Options
  • 23-01-2023 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

Has anyone put frame protection on their road bike, done it yourself or got it done?

From a Google I see a company in Dublin called frame wrap Dublin do it, don't see anyone else advertising to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I got vinyl wrap off amazon and put it on a defy advanced 2 2020. It was €20 for a sheet as the kits you buy are mad money. It's a pain in the hole to do, takes time and it's not easy. If you have the money, I'd get someone to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Or do as I did. Buy the invisframe kit for your bike and spend a lazy 2-3 hours fitting it. Loads of soapy water and the plastic slides exactly were you want it (kit had an incredible amount of bits due to the shape).

Works out cheaper than the hourly rate a shop will charge to fit a generic kit.

3 years of abuse later and it still looks incredibly new. Worth it on a frame worth over a months wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭jamesd

I have found a bike shop in Limerick that charges €65 to fit the kit - worth getting it done by them to save the time and get it right ?

Any pictures of other bikes they have done?

I know the bike rack in cabintealy (sp) do it, maybe compare prices.

Depends how much you value your time, I did it one wet sunday afternoon in January so had time to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭jamesd

Was it more just time consuming that tricky/difficult to do ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I did the same, loads of 'how to' videos on YouTube also. Just take your time with it, I had to cut it myself which is the most important part. Once the soapy water goes on, then you have loads of time before it all starts to stick and just be careful to flush out all the air bubbles. Mine is still going strong

Time consuming. It was a custom kit for an orange segment MTB, which is stupidly angular as it's made out of sheets of aluminium with great big welds in-between. So loads of bits to do that are both flat and curved.

But really easy, I had on of those hand pump plant waterer on mist setting with a blanket on the tile floor. So frame was beaded with the soap solution and the bits just slide into place. Used the squeezy to remove liquid underneath to kinda fix into place (can still be removed but with an effort).

I had to trim a couple of bits where the welds were too big, not something to do on a typical bike tbh.

Top tip, I left the seat post in so I had a handle.

Advertisement