Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching as a career 2023

Options
  • 23-01-2023 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to posting discussions so apologies if this is in wrong area or has already been asked but I'm hoping to get some advice about secondary school teaching as a career in 2023.

I'm in my early 30's and looking for a career change and education has always been something that has interested me and do like the areas I am qualified to study a PME in (sciences) but after doing some research into teaching from different discussions here it may not be as straight forward as I initially thought so hoping to get answers to a few questions if possible!

Is there an advantage going to one particular University over another for a PME. The only difference I can see atm is UL have block placements whereas the universities who use PAC have placements spread out over 2 years (only for the universities I've looked at for my subjects)

What can a newly qualified teacher be expected to earn in the early years? I've found this difficult to find from discussions here and also the official websites but as a guide I'm assuming around 30-35k/annum? Does it increase by much with experience?

If you are/were teaching what do you think makes a good teacher and who would you recommend teaching to as a career?

Any regrets to those teaching and if so what would you do differently?

Apologies if these are blunt/have been asked before etc but i find it really useful to hear people's opinions, especially those in the profession.

Thanks

Post edited by Ferrell on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭NiceFella

Not a teacher myself, but the reddit group r/Irishteachers may be helpful for your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Pay goes up pretty fast at the start and then slows after a bit. The scales are all online and available on the union websites. Ambition will also dictate this.

Geography will dictate whether you start on full hours and are made permanent quickly. In urban areas in the east you won't have an issue. There's more nuance in other areas

All schools are different. Be aware of this. There are people who love an academically driven school with little pastoral care and this who love a wrap around inner city setting. If I had stayed in my previous schools I wouldn't like my job half as much but equally if I felt a better fit was out there I would move. Fear often traps people in badly run schools or ones that aren't a match. This is the thing most likely to turn you against the job.

Again what a good teacher is will depend on the school and your role within it. A good DEIS teacher might not be a good Grind school teacher and vice versa. For longevity I think thinking teenagers are interesting helps. I like the openness and malleable nature of the teenage years, I really get something from helping kids learn to control bad habits, or be kinder, or better team players along with the more academic pursuits. It keeps you going.

Energy too, young people have it so keeping up can be tiring. Your energy levels need to match your role and your school too.

Peoples own experience is all you can ask for here but I love my job and it's very rewarding but there are days I don't eat because I've too much on and I sometimes go to the bathroom and get there 2 hours later. I like being busy, it's my preferred state but that isn't true for everyone. I'd also recommend being pretty self aware, teenagers will see if your not comfortable in your skin and that can be painful to watch even as a spectator so it must be brutal to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cholly04

Check out reddit, lots of posts and food for thought. I'm 30 and considering the exact same thing as you but after reading reddit posts I'm reconsidering things now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

There are lots of threads on this. It may be helpful to read through a few. I know some will be old but some will be helpful.

I went back in my late 20s, always wanted to be a teacher. Did 10 years and now I'm doing something else. I felt I'd no work-life balance. Summers were great but I was busy non stop in the winter. But I took on too much in my school, and had a subject with a lot of correcting.

Google ASTI salary scales to get the pay. Then go on educationposts and see what hours are available. You'll get paid pro rata. Lots of jobs if you're in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'm not a teacher, yet, but I'm in the final year of my degree and have applied for my PME in DCU and have secured a placement for a good school in September.

I went to college when I was 31 as a mature student with no leaving cert. Teaching is something I'd always thought about when I got my act together in my 20s and finally took the plunge a few years ago.

I did get some supervision work in a school last year as a "covid supervisor" and absolutely loved being in the classroom, in the school and interacting with the students despite only passing on work from their teachers.

I wouldn't worry too much about things, if it's something you truly want to do, go for it. I can't wait to get my qualifications and get a job, despite all the bad press and feedback I've got about teaching.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Mirkel75

Good evening I finally registered with the teaching council after 2.5 years having taught in London, Spain and Belgium. Looking for work at the moment .I have registered with Sub seekers, ETB and am in the process of visiting schools with my CV

Is there anything else I can do ?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Check out educationposts.ie - there is a post primary section for job advertisements .

Advertisement