Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this cable Open Eir or SIRO? Need advice on planning route to house

Options
  • 24-01-2023 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 11 magformer

Hi

Two questions

Cable ID

Photo from the Dublin suburbs - this cable has appeared outside my address. Can anyone tell if it's SIRO or Open Eir? I was thinking SIRO because no sign of those black distribution boxes I've seen Open Eir infra use. Cable has been there for months but the address is not showing as available for install on any database. Area is served only by DSL and Virgin Media otherwise.

Planning route to house

I'm finishing up a full refurb project of an old house and trying to work out how to provision for the future FTTH connection whenever this becomes available. This cable is on a street where all power, telecoms and VM connections appear to be at roof level.

Is it safe to assume I'd have no underground duct option and Open Eir or SIRO would be likely to be run to roof level? This pole is across the road.

If roof level, I'm trying to plan how to allow for a connection in future without the install damaging the airtight fabric of the building. This is easy enough for Virgin Media (which will be the short term solution) because I think that's just coax to the existing external junction box which my builder can run and seal around, and I can run that easily to wherever I want.

I am much less clear on what to do for FTTH. A few searches indicate people have tried various things re ONT location. A few examples of allowing for an external weathertight box with power/POE and CAT6 back into the house. Seems to be little certainty that installers will allow that.

Have also read that some may refuse to locate ONT in attic. My attic will be converted but it would likely need to run through eaves. Alternatively, looking at whether I could have a duct or smurf tube from roof level down into a utility room, but that would be a few metres. Are there any limits on how long a run the installer will work with once the cable enters the building?

I understand it's very unlikely I could run my own fiber to be connected or splice to the incoming line so I'm assuming I'll need to allow for a continuous run from pole to inside building. Does anyone know how this is typically done where airtightness is an issue and there is no cable available at build time to seal around? Would I just make a hole for future use with some kind of cable grommet?

V grateful for any advice!

Comments

• Possibly openEir. A photo of what’s the top of the pole would be more useful. If it had heavy electrical wiring or a street lamp then it’s Siro. If it’s phone wiring, much lighter looking wires, then it’s OpenEir.

That’s just ducts though. The FTTH rollout to that pole is incomplete. They pass fibres down those ducts and install a box in the pole to feed it to houses.

You can’t run your own fibre, but you can provide ducts with draw rope and they’ll pull it though.

The ONT connects to the router using Ethernet, so you can relocate that aspect by just running your own internal Ethernet cable to the optimal location for your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

That’s an openeir pole

cable will hung overhead to gable. If you leave a draw wire to pull into attic they’ll fit it in attic for you. If your going to leave a draw wire. Leave either a rope or a decent cable. Definitely not a white 2 pair cable that could snap while trying to pull in the fibre.

Advertisement